Author Topic: Best Buy Deal on Windows 7  (Read 13666 times)

YoKenny

Re: Best Buy Deal on Windows 7
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 01:41:10 AM »
I have one question for the users of Windows 7 RC.  I have a 6 year old Windows XP laptop with 40 gigs of hard drive, and 640 MB's of RAM  32 MB's are used for Video.  Is it possible that Windows 7 would work on it.  I wanted to try it on that since I was going to reinstall XP on it anyway.  I know they say you should have at least 1 G of RAM for windows 7. ???
Ro Ro

Don't even think about it.

I would not run Windows 7 with less than 2GB RAM and a fast CPU.

A good XP system does not make a minimal Windows 7 or Vista system IMHO.

roro

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 10:01:47 AM »
I guess I will forget about windows 7 on my old laptop.  My desktop has a fast CPU but only 1 Gig RAM.  I guess my choice would be stick with XP on that or upgrade to 2 Gig RAM which I can do.  I bought the upgrade for my Vista Machine since that is fast enough and has 4 GIG RAM.  It is only a year old.
That was a good question about DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver. Can anyone answer it?
RoRo
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:04:04 AM by roro »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »
If you are happy with Vista (and not afraid to say so - just kidding) or even with XP then you need to ask yourself why pay right now for this discounted pre-release of Windows 7.   Is there some new feature in Windows 7 you really need to help you or is it just a case of wanting the latest and greatest?

If you need something in Windows 7 (please let us know what great feature you are going for) then the pre-release sale makes sense but make sure your machine is Windows 7 capable - this is especially important for those considering the leap from Windows XP to Windows 7.

I may be wrong but it seems the pre-release sale of upgrades excludes the Ultimate version of the product and confines itself to Home-Premium and Professional editions.  I have not done the homework to find the delta between Professional and Ultimate ... anyone have a quick answer?

I suspect there will be future sales of the upgrades (especially in the current economic climate) though again I may be wrong.  However remember any PC bought after July 1 2009 should qualify for a Windows 7 upgrade for free - so do not forget that. 

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 12:30:32 PM »
How do I know if I got a DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver to meet Windows 7 requirements?

I think the requirement for running Aero is a 3d card with 128MB of graphic memory, something like a geforce fx or radeon 9500 and higher. Newer Intel integrated graphics should work aswell.

Anyways run this tool called Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta :)

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor scans your PC's system, programs and devices to check if it's able to run Windows 7. After a few minutes, the report will let you know if your PC meets the system requirements, if there are any known compatibility issues with your programs and devices, and will also provide guidance on your upgrade options to Windows 7.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Beta - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1b544e90-7659-4bd9-9e51-2497c146af15

Negeltu

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 12:40:49 PM »
I have one question for the users of Windows 7 RC.  I have a 6 year old Windows XP laptop with 40 gigs of hard drive, and 640 MB's of RAM  32 MB's are used for Video.  Is it possible that Windows 7 would work on it.  I wanted to try it on that since I was going to reinstall XP on it anyway.  I know they say you should have at least 1 G of RAM for windows 7. ???
Ro Ro

Don't even think about it.

I would not run Windows 7 with less than 2GB RAM and a fast CPU.

A good XP system does not make a minimal Windows 7 or Vista system IMHO.

Windows 7 is running just fine with 1.5GB's of RAM and a Celeron D 352 3.2Ghz cpu here.  Quite fast.  Not sure how it would run with 1GB though.

roro

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 01:32:20 PM »
Actually, will probably just upgrade my Vista machine, and will run the windows 7 upgrade Advisor.  Since it is a beta, I was going to wait until just before I get the upgrade hoping its beta status had changed.  I will probably leave my XP machines alone as I am not unhappy with them.
Since I bought a new laptop last year, it will be a few years before I invest in another, so the upgrade that will go with new machines won't affect me.  I want to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 because of all the good things that have been said about it, and everyone who has been in on the beta testing seems to think it works a lot better than Vista. Am I wrong?
 I have Vista Home Premium and am going for Windows 7 Home Premium. 
RoRo

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

roro

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 12:18:54 AM »
Amazon and Best Buy have it with free shipping too.  Although I had to pay 5% tax at Best Buy.  I guess everyone is getting on the bandwagon.

RoRo

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 12:25:42 AM »
Yeah, I already had a Newegg account,so that's why I went there. I didn't have to pay taxes. (don't know why)
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

YoKenny

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 10:08:55 AM »
Interesting reading
Windows Client Feature Comparison: Windows XP SP3 | Wndows Vista SP1 | Windows 7

Brief Description[/b]
This chart compares features of interest to IT professionals across three versions of the Windows client operating system: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP1, and Windows 7.
On This Page
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=FA0177CC-7E82-4993-B0D6-FEC84216DD9C&displaylang=en

roro

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
Best Buy has stores in Maine, so therefore we pay tax.  Newegg is an internet supplier, so no tax;  although the states are trying to get online stores to pay state sales tax.
I had a friend use the Windows 7 upgrade Advisor and it told her she didn't have enough RAM even though she has 2 GIGs and a 2.0 Intel Dual processor.  Go figure. 
RoRo