Author Topic: How can i make exceptions?  (Read 3406 times)

bkarr

How can i make exceptions?
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:40:39 PM »
I have avast home free edition.  I have a file that i know for a fact is not a virus.  When i install it or even run it, it always wants to delete or move it to the chest.  Is there an exception list somewhere in avast where i can list the program as an exception?

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How can i make exceptions?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »
Can you inform the file as being a false positive? (click on the bottom right of the virus warning message).

To know if a file is a false positive, please submit it to VirusTotal and let us know the result. VirusTotal has a file size limit of 10Mb. You can use VirScan also.
If it is indeed a false positive, send it in a password protected zip to virus@avast.com. Please, mention in the body of the message why you think it is a false positive and the password used. Thanks.

Maybe you need to disable Hide protected operating system files and enable View hidden files and folders to manage the file(s).

As a workaround, you can add these files to the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning) exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize. Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

This link is a tutorial on how to help correct a virus detection that you believe to be false:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=25009.msg204838#msg204838
or http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=7779.msg62586#msg62586
The best things in life are free.

bkarr

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »
I did send this as a false positive yes.

bkarr

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:58:46 PM »
I understand how to add the exception to the standard shield.  How do i add an excpetion to the resident shield?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
I understand how to add the exception to the standard shield.  How do i add an excpetion to the resident shield?
There are two Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

You can use wildcards like * and ?.
But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.
The best things in life are free.