Author Topic: Want to help a computer-illiterate?  (Read 8485 times)

trinket

Re: Want to help a computer-illiterate?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 04:41:48 AM »
I hope you "removed" them (sent them to MBAM quarantine) rather than deleting them?

...by "removed" I literally meant I deleted them... Darn it, impulsiveness is terrible. But anyway, I suppose they were harmful since after deleting them nothing happened to my computer; as in it still functions properly. So I'm guessing the 8 infections I found really were malware, not false positives.

trinket

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 06:22:42 AM »
And about the malware that I moved to avast's chest: They were all something like HTTP:Agent-L [EXPL], and when I looked it up, some sources told me that it was a downloading trojan or something.

However, I'd still like to confirm whether one or two maybe be false positives. Though almost all of the malware site websites as the source in the chest, a few of them site my C drive. I would extremely appreciate anyone who would be willing to walk me through the whole confirmation process.

Also, if what I assume turns out to be correct, is it alright if I just delete them as soon as possible rather than wait at least 2 weeks?

Thank you.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »
Hi Trinket,

However, I'd still like to confirm whether one or two maybe be false positives. Though almost all of the malware site websites as the source in the chest, a few of them site my C drive. I would extremely appreciate anyone who would be willing to walk me through the whole confirmation process.

I'll try. This was Posted by another member and since I'm not one to copy something and claim it as my one I quoted it.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive, e.g. C:\Suspect. Now exclude that folder in the Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\* That will stop the standard shield scanning any file you put in that folder. You should now be able to export any file in the chest to this folder and upload it to VirusTotal without avast alerting.

If it is indeed a false positive, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=34950.msg293451#msg293451, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.

IF you have difficulty with this post back... I'll brake down the steps further.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.