Author Topic: Manual Scan Said It Couldn't Scan This File  (Read 5022 times)

norel

Manual Scan Said It Couldn't Scan This File
« on: June 24, 2009, 02:22:56 AM »
I did a thorough scan of my system today and when it was done a box came up that said it was not able to scan the following:

C:\Program Files\Toshiba\TOSAPINS\...\wtsetup.exe

I selected it and right clicked. A list with several options popped up- scan, chest, delete, etc., but when I clicked them nothing happened.

wtsetup.exe is Web Time, a utility that syncs your PC's time with an atomic clock over the Web. Those three dots in the path don't make any sense to me. It looks like the scanner couldn't read the full path or something. I set my folder options to show hidden files and protected system files, then searched for wtsetup.exe , both manually and with the search function, but  couldn't locate it.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? I have avast! 4.8 and Vista Home Basic SP1.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Manual Scan Said It Couldn't Scan This File
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 02:32:57 AM »
Hi norel,

Try to expand the results by going to the top right corner of the column with the results and dragging the corner to the right. That should take care of the ... (three points)

Report back with what you found.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

norel

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:25:36 AM »
Hi Confused,

I know I probably shouldn't have, but I already rebooted and I can't figure out how to find the record of my scan. Do you happen to know if there might be a log somewhere? 

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 04:27:32 AM »
I can't figure out how to find the record of my scan. Do you happen to know if there might be a log somewhere? 

No worries, neither could I till a minute ago.

This is taken form the Avast help file:

Showing the last scan results

1. Click on the Menu button.
2. Choose the Last scan results.

Hope this helps...If not, redo the scan and see if the same files come up again.

Also, as a way to make sure there isn't a virus, you can use two other programs that have a good detection rate. Just follow the instructions bellow.

Couple of ideas for some "second opinion" malware scanners, used and recommended by many on the forum (search if in doubt. Good habit to, anyway) MBAM (free download is the blue button) and/or SAS.
MBAM is the smaller download.
Install, update, and run at least a quick scan with one (or both) of those, if only for your own peace of mind. (If in doubt as to results, feel free to post the scan reports here before actioning them.)
Anytime malware is found on a computer it is a good idea to have a second, or even a third scan, or an investigate of some kind.

And remember that MBAM and SAS (the free versions) can be installed side by side with Avast with no side effects.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 04:40:47 AM by Confused Computer User »
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

norel

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 05:22:18 AM »
Once you close avast! the Last Scan option is no longer available until you run another scan. But if this was a serious issue it should have shown up in the Log Viewer (which it didn't), so I don't think it's anything. Like you said I'll have to scan again and see what happens. Maybe then I can figure out how to expand the screen and see the full path.

norel

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »
You have to set up a Report File in Program Settings if you want a permanent record, otherwise when you close avast! you're SOL if you want a report. ;D  After I figured this out I ran a quick scan to test it and there were a couple of items that said "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." I'm pretty sure that must be what was going on with that wtsetup.exe. I guess you can't scan 100% of everything unless you do a Boot Time scan. 

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 10:03:50 PM »
I guess you can't scan 100% of everything unless you do a Boot Time scan. 

True.
You could boot in safe mode and try to run avast as well as SAS and MBAM. These should guaranty that you have no infection.

You have to set up a Report File in Program Settings if you want a permanent record, otherwise when you close avast! you're SOL if you want a report. ;D 
Thanks for the mention. Never knew that.  :-[
Computer Systems:

mattburles

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 03:21:07 AM »
works fine here on my 64 bit vista  :)