Author Topic: windows 98 Avast red line  (Read 4086 times)

fatp

windows 98 Avast red line
« on: June 24, 2009, 06:29:57 PM »
My first time on the board.  

I loaded the current Avast version for the first time a couple of weeks ago on my Windows 98 second edition computer and it worked perfectly.  

When I turned my computer off and then on the next day, the blue 'a' got a red line through it and none of the six providers were running.

No matter what I did the resident protection remained inactive.

So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and again it was functioning perfectly, the blue ball was spinning and the providers running.

But whenever I turn the computer off and on Avast has the red line through it, and I can't get it to start protecting, and have to uninstall/reinstall.

What can be causing it?

The only programs I have installed are Sygate firewall and Spywareblaster but you would think that if they were causing problems, then Avast would have never worked in the first place.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: windows 98 Avast red line
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

This is one of the most common causes of this red 'circle' with a bar over the avast ' a ' icon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fatp

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 06:19:28 AM »
Orginally, it was my initial installation of Avast. I uninstall through add/remove programs in control panel.

I guess my main point is that it works perfectly until I turn the computer off and then back on.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
So there has 'never' been another AV installed on this system ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fatp

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »
you are correct sir

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:35:26 PM »
Well I'm stumped as your other security applications shouldn't be getting in the way as spywareblaster really isn't any form of protection as it is passive and is an immunisation tool, but doesn't detect anything or run resident.

Sygate too I wouldn't have thought would have any impact on running processes only if they try to gain internet access.

So my only thought is that you might have malware on your system, though even that is weird as it only happens after boot.

Try a completely clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

fatp

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 03:16:39 AM »
I followed your directions and have the same problem.

I think I'll uninstall/reinstall again to get Avast working, then make a conscious effort never to turn my computer off.

Thank you for your kind efforts sir. Greatly appreciated.

Mike Buxton

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 03:57:47 AM »
Hi,

With my W98SE I only use the Standard Shield and the Web Shield which is all that I want.

In your browser(s) did you use the W98SE setting "Local Host 12080" ?

If you try just the two shields are both reported as active?

It is unlikely the above trial will partially solve your reboot problem but I have no other suggestion.

My regards