Author Topic: Transparent mail scanning  (Read 2064 times)

Arrente

Transparent mail scanning
« on: June 24, 2009, 02:19:21 AM »
How do I set up Avast to add a "clean" message to incoming and outgoing messages.  I've checked the boxes to do so.

What (exact) numbers do I put in the Redirect tab fields for the Internet Mail module.

Do I need to change any settings in Outlook Express?

Thanks.

Arrente

Re: Transparent mail scanning
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 02:40:40 AM »
Never mind.  att.yahoo.com requires SSL connections.  I'll wait 'til Avast 5.  Changed my mind.  Okay, using the instructions in Part A of http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0, thought I'd try setting up the Stunnel thing correctly before going to part B, setting up Outlook Express properly.  In part A everything seemed to go well except no Stunnel icon appeared in the system tray on bootup despite fact it is configured as Automatic in Services.  Stunnel is nonetheless present in Task Manager.  Attached are the stunnel.conf file (as .txt so I  could attach it) and the stunnel log. Both appear okay.

Now I decided to try something.  If I go to the Stunnel folder and click Stunnel.exe, the proper icon appears in the SystemTray.  WTF?  Why does that work but doesn't work on bootup?

As far as functionality does it really matter if the Stunnel icon is in the System Tray?

Thanks for your replies  
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 08:29:44 AM by Arrente »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 09:35:48 PM »
As far as functionality does it really matter if the Stunnel icon is in the System Tray?
No. The service must be running. That's all.
The best things in life are free.

Arrente

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 12:35:51 AM »
What concerns me in the following is are all the port numbers correctly assigned?  System is XP Home SP3,

I use OE.  The SMTP/POP ports are 465/995 in the OE Mail/Properties/Advanced Tab, and the "This serves requires a secure authentication (SSL)" box is  checked for each.

1.  Is that correct for usage with Stunnel.conf, the Avast Redict Tab, and Avast.ini? with the parameters for each given below? If not what port numbers   
     should I place in each?

2.  Stunnel stunnel.conf file parameters.  Given the above, are they correct?

debug = 7
           output = C:\Program Files\stunnel\stunnel.log

; Use it for att client mode
           client = yes

; Service-level configuration

[att -pop3s]
           accept  = 127.0.0.1:11110
           connect = pop.att.yahoo.com:995

[att -ssmtp]
           accept  = 127.0.0.1:11025
           connect = smtp.att.yahoo.com:465

3.  What port numbers do I put in the SMTP/POP fileds in the Avast Redirect Tab?  Currently I have 25/110, the defaults from instalation.

4.  Is the following avast.ini  section correct?  If not please correct?

[MailScanner]
          PopRedirectPort=110
          SmtpRedirectPort=25
          ImapRedirectPort=143
          NntpRedirectPort=119
          IgnoreAddress=
          IgnoreLocalhost=1
          AutoRedirect=1
          StartPop=1
          StartSmtp=1
          StartImap=1
          StartNntp=1
          ShowTrayIcon=1

Arrente

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »
This will be my last post in this Subject and the moderaters may close the thread if they wish.  It took me all day to get it all right.  For me it was hard to put together. Here, explicitly, is what finally worked for Outlook Express: I hope it helps others, and thanks to all who posted anything on the matter in earlier threads. The following is for Avast 4.8 Home Edition, Stunnel 4.27, OpenSSL 0.9.8kand XP Home SP3, and for the isp att yahoo.  I hope the organization is clear enough that you can modify it without too much difficulty for your own isp.

1.  In OE under Accounts change both the smtp and pop servers to read simply "localhost". No port numbers are needed.  In mail properties advanced 
     uncheck both boxes that read "This server requires a secure connection."  The port numbers should then read 25 amd 110.

2.  The avast.ini should read: (I do not use Nntp or Imap)
          [MailScanner]
           PopRedirectPort=110
           SmtpRedirectPort=25
           ImapRedirectPort=
           NntpRedirectPort=
           IgnoreAddress=
           IgnoreLocalhost=1
           AutoRedirect=1
           StartPop=1
           StartSmtp=1
           StartImap=0
           StartNntp=0
           ShowTrayIcon=1

3. In the Avast Internet Mail module/Customize the Redirect fields should read 110, 25, blank blank.  Leave rectangle at bottom blank.

4. Stunnel.conf should read:
        debug = 7
        output = C:\Program Files\stunnel\stunnel.log

; Use it for att client mode
        client = yes

; Service-level configuration
        [att -pop3s]
        accept= localhost:110
        connect = pop.att.yahoo.com:995

[att -smtp]
        accept  = localhost:25
        connect = smtp.att.yahoo.com:465

5. Rather than having Stunnel run as a service all the time, I found it more convenient to simply create a shortcut to Stunnel.exe and use that to open it as   
   needed.