Author Topic: Avast 4 Home crashed...caused GDI failure  (Read 5003 times)

techie101

Avast 4 Home crashed...caused GDI failure
« on: June 10, 2003, 03:34:53 AM »
 :-[
Ok fellow Avasters....I need your help now.  This problem has got me puzzled!  My Avast was working fine until an autoupdate 6/6/03.  Then it crashed and would not scan.
I uninstalled, used AVCLEAR to clean up the leftover files, did a DiskScan and Defrag......manually checked and removed all traces of Avast, then reinstalled.
Still would not work.  It would not scan and if I tried to go into the settings menu, I would see the icons, but no "type".
In despair, I had to install AVG for now but am not a happy camper!

The error message:  Avast has caused a fault error in GDI ........ ....... .......  Sorry but I did not think to copy down the numbers.

System GDI resources are running around 75% while online.

System has been running normally with AVG Resident and Email shields.

The Avast reinstall used a fresh backup copy not the one stored on the hard drive for fear of corrupted files.

The installation process appeared to be going normally until the email shield was being put in, then the entire system froze.

Any ideas?  

Avast Team....Don't be bashful!  Join in here!!! :-\

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Avast 4 Home crashed...caused GDI failure
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 08:51:13 AM »
Hmm, this is really strange... What did the crash window look like? Was it the classic grey dialog with all the register and stack data? Or was it a plain message box with non-proportional fonts?

I doubt it was the VPS update - it's just a virus database, right? No program update. It must be something else that has changed on your computer and is (unfortunately) incompatible with avast.

BTW what OS are you using?

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

Re:Avast 4 Home crashed...caused GDI failure
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 07:23:35 AM »
 :-[
Vlk,

Strange is putting it mildly.  The crash window was the classic grey window.
It was in my older W98 system.  I also thought that something was no longer compatible with Avast so I also did a reg-restore to no avail.
However, I did recently update my Windows Installer, and VB60 runtime files in order to use my CD burner software.  Maybe the combination of "new"stuff caused Avast to become unstable.
If that is the case, how can I correct it?
OR....do you have any other ideas on this????

Thanks