Author Topic: Boot scan not running  (Read 5060 times)

cromag

Boot scan not running
« on: June 24, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
I'm trying to run a boot scan on my computer and not having any luck.  I get to a light blue and white screen and Avast! seems to be running when I get a "keyboard error."  I'm prompted to press ESC to continue, but whether or not I press the ESC key the results are the same -- I get three lines telling me "0" files have been checked, the computer boots up, and there is no log (that I can find).

I'm running Windows SP3 on an IBM Thinkcentre computer.  The Keyboard is an IBM keyboard.

I do not have any reason to think that my computer is infected.  I run a standard Avast! scan at least once a week and I scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware once a day -- they all come up clean.

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Boot scan not running
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Is the keyboard an USB or PS2 one?
The best things in life are free.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:52:40 AM »
Hi cromag. Welcome to the forum.

Try and run a scan using simple user interface. You can run this scan in Safe Mode if you want.
I think best set for Thorough and also check Archive box.
Do this and run scan through before you try boot-time scan again.

Unless error has proved to an unrelated problem that becomes solved - i.e does not involve avast.

What is your position in regard to System Restore?
Can you turn off or do you have Restore points that you want to keep?
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

cromag

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:45:57 AM »
Is the keyboard an USB or PS2 one?

It's a USB keyboard, plugged into a USB port -- in other words, I'm not using any kind of adapter to fit it into the PS/2 keyboard port.

cromag

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 01:54:47 AM »
I have no trouble running a scan from the simple user interface mkis -- I ran my last one a couple days ago.  I run Standard scans and check the archived files.  The virus database seems to be updating every day without a problem.  I don't have a problem resetting System Restore, but I'd like to rule out the keyboard as the source of the problem first -- like I said, I'm not having any symptoms of a virus or other malware.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 02:21:51 AM »
Okay that's fine.

I get three lines telling me "0" files have been checked, the computer boots up, and there is no log (that I can find).

I have come across similar situation to this where malware was preventing boot-time scan from starting. And the infected files subsequently came out when scanning GUI user interface. Settings - probably Thorough with Archive checked and System Restore turned off (but cannot recall exactly).

In your case, no symptoms of virus or other malware, so that's okay.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

cromag

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:56:49 AM »
Thanks, mkis.  I'll give that a try, but the last time I ran a thorough scan it took many hours to run.  In the absence of any other symptoms, I'd like to schedule it for a couple of days when I don't need the computer.

It occurred to me after the last post that there may be some unusual properties to my keyboard.  It's an IBM USB Enhanced Performance keyboard, as seen here at Amazon.  It has a built in USB 2.0 hub, but it's plugged into the computer's USB 1.1 port.  It has IBM drivers.

I have a PI Engineering X-keys Button Panel, as seen here at PI Engineering plugged into one of the keyboard's USB ports.  The keyboard and button panel were not original to the computer, but have been running without problem since I put them on more than two years ago.

I could replace them with a standard keyboard and try a boot scan if anyone thinks that would help.  But life is much easier for me with this keyboard/button panel combination.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 03:33:36 AM »
Hi Cromag

I just picked up an alert on my of my computers and sent a file to the chest when doing a thorough scan with GUI interface, after an earlier routine boot-time scan in Standard had not detected any infected files.

I have not had time to check the file yet - it may have turned up in the interim as the computer has strong defence for desktop but is currently hooked to a separate unsecured wireless network. Or could be false positive. But it has just happened now and the scan is still running.

The reason I ran the later GUI user interface scan was the boot-time scan could not scan some of the files - so I have been sorting around, looking for and tidying up things, checking download failures or time-outs, and cleaning out excess. I am not expecting to find anything serious, but we shall see.

I'm sorry but I am not familiar with the keyboard technology. However, I don't think they need the fastest USB technology as they are naturally fast I/O devices. But they can also be very hyper-sensitive as well from what I remember.

cromag

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »
I ran a thorough scan, including archives, from the user interface -- nothing found.

This weekend I'll try substituting a standard keyboard.  In the meantime, I still can't run a boot scan.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 01:15:34 AM »
Hmm, that is strange. Certainly not consistent with normal running, problem areas included.

Keyboard does call very early in the boot process, though, in fact almost immediately. Is there an error showing showing at POST?
 - I guess there isn't. I'm not sure how you could generate an error test under the circumstances.

Keyboard has already clicked in before entering setup... And not much in there anyway.
You might be right about the keyboard. I hope so as this would then be a minor issue and resolved by replacing keyboard.
How is the computer going otherwise? Does it seem like there are other issues?

cromag

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 02:41:32 AM »
No other issues with either the keyboard itself or the attached button panel.

The keyboard has dedicated keys to call up the web browser, email, etc.  I use them every day.

Likewise the button panel.  I have buttons programmed for BB-code so I can enter bold or italic typefaces by pressing a single button.  I also have one button programmed to shutdown the computer so I don't have to go through "Start."  Again, I use it every day.  No problems with function.

I'll try replacing the keyboard this weekend, but it will only be to run the boot scan -- I'd miss the enhanced keyboard and button panel too much to disconnect them.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 03:33:45 AM »
Im guessing rest of computer is running okay.

Keyboard actually calls as part of POST.
You may need to okay bootscan with keyboard command, otherwise keyboard may ignore or overrule the scan schedule.