Author Topic: IE malware symptoms?  (Read 9694 times)

francine

Re: IE malware symptoms?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 03:57:40 PM »
I know how people love to hate AOL and I do not normally use it as my Web browser. The reason I'm using it is because IE8 is, for reasons yet undetermined, once opened is refusing to really close. In addition to that, IE8 sucks up memory.

For example, I am now on AOL through the resident software. I opened IE8. Two iexplore.exe lines came up in Task Manager showing 00 under the CPU column under the Processes tab. I then closed IE8. Both lines in Task Manager are still there except now under the CPU column it shows 50 and the CPU usage is going between 50-52%. If I open IE8 again, two more iexplore.exe lines open in Task Manager with the original two still open and 50% CPU usage. Now I've closed IE8 again and I have two lines of iexplore.exe showing 50 and CPU usage has jumped 100%. Using Task Manager, I now end the processes to regain efficient use of my machine.

If not for having figured out that this phenom does on affect AOL, I would really be at a disadvantage. Right now, amazing to say, my resident AOL is the hero and the only way I can conveniently be on line.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 04:06:47 PM »
I think you will find that the AOHell browser isn't scanned by the avast web shield as it is a proprietary protocol it uses and not the standard HTTP protocol that the web shield can filter and scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

francine

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
I launched IE8, closed it, launched it again, and closed it again. This is a screen shot of Task Master with IE8 thus closed before I manually ended the four listed IE8 processes, which would have eventually kept my computer from running.

And AOL is working just fine. If not for AOL right now, I would be well and truly miserable. It's IE8 that's in the tank...

micky77

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
Could you not use another browser like Firefox

francine

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »
I used to use FireFox, but it created a problem with another program. That's when I switched back to IE.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 08:11:50 PM »
I used to use FireFox, but it created a problem with another program.
Which one?
The best things in life are free.

francine

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »
I don't remember which program FireFox didn't work well with.

I used to use FireFox, but it created a problem with another program.
Which one?

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »
Hi Francine

About a year ago, if someone had said this to me, I would have sworn their computer was infected.
Not badly, maybe a not too nasty trojan and a couple of adware was usual fare.

A few days ago, my machine started getting real slow. I have a 12 month old Dell running XP SP3. The more I was on IE8, the slower it got. I have an AOL account that I access by going on IE. My husband accesses AOL by using the AOL software on our computer. I began to notice, that my husband had no problem. If he went on line when the computer was just turned on, he was fine. If I went on IE, that's when the heartache began.

I just wonder if you have only just picked up something relatively old - perhaps old enough to escape detection. Just a thought. Has your computer got any slower again, or started to hang every now and then? Have you run System Restore since your computer slowed down, or do you still have that option?

If you do no longer have that option, so it doesn't matter, I was going to suggest that you try a boot scan or a scan in Safe Mode with System Restore turned off - thorough with archive box checked - just so that you know that you have run that test of the system. And the key thing to do here is have System Restore turned off. If the scan comes up clean, then all good.

Just a thought.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.