Author Topic: You are not connected to the internet  (Read 3224 times)

snowlioncreations

You are not connected to the internet
« on: June 29, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »
I donwloaded the free avast program last week, I was able to connect to internet and was happy with avast so I decided to upgrade to avast version 4.8 professional. I now can no longer connect to the internet, and receive the error acast!: The AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error. After reading the forum and seeign taht maybe I had some residual of norton I tried to uninstall avast through add and remove programs and it tells me a setiface error has occured and the reinstall. Well can't connect to internet so...please help I am running windows xp and connect using netgear router.

spg SCOTT

Re: You are not connected to the internet
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 06:20:16 PM »
Hello Snowlioncreations,

The RPC error is usually down to remenants of previous AVs, as you mention Norton, I would suggest using the norton removal tool:

2) Use Norton Removal Tool for Windows 2000/XP/Vista

After running the norton tool, a reinstallation of avast may be necessary:

*** It is probably a good idea to download the newest version of avast before starting this***

I suggest an installation from the scratch:
1.Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation. Maybe you should boot in Safe Mode.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.

(Thanks for these instructions Tech :))

Hope this helps,

-Scott-

snowlioncreations

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:41:33 PM »
I cleared all antivirus remainign utilizing removal tool and also uninstalled avast. When I try to re-install avast I get A setface error has occurred: 536870929 Try to reinstall or contact support. Reisntall efforts did not work.
Thanks

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:19 PM »
Did you follow the instructions regarding the avast removal tool? (number 3 in the list)
Did you run it in safe mode?

-Scott-