Author Topic: Advices, sugestions, recomendations are welcome!  (Read 12312 times)

goranilic

Advices, sugestions, recomendations are welcome!
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:53:24 AM »
Hi all,
I am new to this and BTW I'm not into comp softwares.
Use to used Norton, last 2 years MicroTrend... which expired last week. After scanning it reported 4 corrupted PDF files with something "Bloodhound"!!! (BTW never heard about this fella!?) In the mean time (last 3 days) I was reading reviews, on the PC World, CNet..., about AV Softwares. So, I've decided, downloaded, installed AVAST! HOME Edition. After everything's done I scanned my comp with 3 different scanners and didn't notice anything similar to "Bloodhound"!
I'm not very active for downloading stuff online (some music, some videos). Usually, I use my comp for business related. Files that were corrupted were some contract offers, and info's from my clients. Means, I have a lot in stored, or received trough email on HDD.
After downloading Avast! everything's smooth (I was afraid it's not ON...lol), but I want to hear from you guys do you recommend any other Anti-spyware-malware software to use beside Avast! I've read some opinions, that avast! malware-spyware protection is side not so strong. Since this is Windows Vista  I have (by default) Windows Defender already, and now Avast! Home Edition and (by default) Windows Firewall.
Well now, I am kinda nervous about my protection. Don't see "Blodhound" around, I don't know how bad is this, but I know there's a lot bad stuff floating.
Avast users, please feel free to suggest/recommend do I need anything else beside avast (strongly believe this is good choice for AV)!

Thank  you very much in advance!
Gor

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Advices, sugestions, recomendations are welcome!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:03:59 AM »
Bloodhound is just an indication that this is a Trend heuristic scan.

The biggest thing is to ensure that you have uninstalled previous AVs as that can really get in the works. Some AVs are particularly a pain in the rear (Norton for one), which even after uninstalling frequently leave remnants which can conflict with avast.

A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

Remove Trend Micro's AV, see http://esupport.trendmicro.com/support/viewxml.do?ContentID=EN-1034142&id=EN-1034142#P79_1922

You can start by looking at my signature for the general application I use.

If you don't want to lose it back it up.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

goranilic

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:36:20 AM »
Thanks DavidR,
first of all Trend heuristic scan doesn't mean a lot to me, but yes first I uninstalled TrendMicro!..lol.
Second, you are saying I can add more layers of protection? If so, I'm eager to know what's not in conflict with Vista/Avast! Home. I believe I understand that I can't have another AV beside Avast! (l was thinking G Data or ESET Nod32).
Third, how about Windows Firewall and Defender. How they are reliable? Should I change Firewall? I was thinking maybe to add one more Anti-Spyware... or I need to replace WDefender.

Thx again,
Gor

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:18 AM »
The standard convention is only one resident AV or they will conflict as they essentially work in the same way, by hooking files before they run so that they may be scanned first and these low level drivers can conflict. So you can have other on-demand AVs.

The same convention should also be applied to anti-spyware/malware (AS) applications only one resident and no real limit on on-demand AS applications.

I have never used windows defender and never rated it much.

The windows Vista firewall has the outbound checking disabled by default. Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

So you could also enable the outbound protection of the Vista firewall, but it isn't very friendly, is rule based and you have to create the rules. - See Vista Firewall Control, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html and this, http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/faq.html. Also check out this topic for some user friendly help for the Vista Firewall Control, Outbound protection, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=30234.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:10:50 PM »
I'm not very active for downloading stuff online (some music, some videos). Usually, I use my comp for business related. Files that were corrupted were some contract offers, and info's from my clients. Means, I have a lot in stored, or received trough email on HDD.

From the avast website:
This edition is FREE OF CHARGE for non-commercial & home use only. Both of these conditions should be met! If you are not a home user or if you use your computer for business purposes, we offer a wide range of more suitable products providing higher data security, starting with avast! Professional Edition.

If you are using the pc for business you will need to buy the pro version

-Scott-

norel

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »
Hi goranilic, Bloodhound Heuristics can be helpful; it sniffs out potential threats that have not yet been identified or defined. But on the flipside, it can also hit on things that are harmless. Norton heuristics quaratined my camera driver once and I spent a whole day figuring out what the heck was wrong. As far as I can tell, avast! only uses heuristics for email. It may use it for other stuff, I don't know, but I can't find any options anywhere else to turn it on or off.

I also have Windows Defender and Firewall and in my opinion they are both good programs, but they aren't designed to handle viruses, you still need antivirus protection. But it's not recommended to have more than one antivirus program running at the same time. Many people experience all kinds of problems with this. You can have more than one on your system, it's only when you try to run them both in real time that you'll have problems.

avast! is different from any other antivirus program I've used. It's taken me awhile to get used to it, but now that I've sorta gotten the hang of it I would highly recommend it.  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:23:53 PM by norel »

goranilic

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:33:54 AM »
Thanks Scott and Norel.
So what do you recomend for additional protection on Vista (beside avast!), that will not conflict with eachother?
I was considering some of these:
-Spyware Blaster
-SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
-Spybot Search & Destroy
-PC Tools ThreatFire
-WinPatrol
-Malwarebytes’ Anti-malware
 Not all of them off course..lol....or maybe something else

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 04:59:27 AM »
I would recommend you to use both superantispyware free and malwarebytes free.I have malwarebytes on my system and is really light on memory.Never conflict with avast.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

cinchez

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 09:41:30 AM »
"IMO only", MBAM and SAS would be the most preferable choice^^

Also add WinPatrol^^

BTW thanks for choosing Avast! over other AVs^^

-AnimeLover^^
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:38:38 AM by +AdDicT+ »

Conogo

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 09:55:09 AM »
Yes, agreed. SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes are pretty good.  :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 04:50:56 PM »
@ goranilic
From your list I would get rid of spybot s&d, Threatfire and keep the rest.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 05:07:15 PM »
Well i dont think he need other security since he got the Microsoft recommandation. He got a Anti Virus (Avast!),Anti Spyware (Windows Defender & Avast! Anti Spyware),Firewall (Windows Vista Firewall) and UAC. Btw you should turn on Windows Automatic Update for sure. Windows Products for update is my recommandation.

I think all of this would be ok excepted if you got child then use Windows Control Parental. My self i say why add more protection when Avast! is really a great anti virus.

PS : More u add security more your pc will be slow. And this will cause many problem to my eyes so i think until you got the recommendation of Microsoft all should be ok. But if later you find a alert or something strange and your cpu is infected maybe you will need to download some follow program like Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware.

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:14:52 PM by Mr.Agent »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »
The "more you add the security more your pc will be slow," is patently wrong, if what you are adding is on-demand and or passive.

Conogo

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »
It is tendency AV softwares Pro in its main business only and AS as their side addon. So adding SAS and MBAM and has a regular scan would be better.

The "more you add the security more your pc will be slow," is patently wrong, if what you are adding is on-demand and or passive.

+1

Mr.Agent

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 05:44:27 PM »
Well why need another anti spyware and a anti malware when you got a anti virus and anti spyware ? I dont think you need that mush security. Anti Virus,Anti Spyware,Firewall are like essential that Microsoft did said.

Also Avast! detect 98,7 % of the virus so with Windows Defender he would can detect maybe the rest its would be like really fair with the Firewall and UAC.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 05:49:54 PM by Mr.Agent »