Author Topic: Profiles in Windows 98: error 10093  (Read 4368 times)

Rick.Wakeman

Profiles in Windows 98: error 10093
« on: May 21, 2004, 05:53:07 PM »
Folks,

I have two user profiles in Windows 98 SE. If I Logoff one profile and login to the other one, when Avast! comes up it displays three windows with three different error messages:

- "will not be protecting incoming mail (IMAP). Error 10093"

- "will not be protecting incoming mail (POP). Error 0"

- "will not be protecting outgoing mail (SMTP). Error 10093"

And then I can't even send/receive e-mail, because my e-mail client is set to use Avast! via 127.0.0.1...

And the only solution is to reboot.

It seems that if I reboot and login to the other profile it works OK. The problem is logging out one and in to the other.

Any Ideas?

My system:

Windows 98 SE
Avast! 4 Home Edition

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Profiles in Windows 98: error 10093
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 08:34:35 PM »
And then I can't even send/receive e-mail, because my e-mail client is set to use Avast! via 127.0.0.1...

It seems that if I reboot and login to the other profile it works OK. The problem is logging out one and in to the other.

ashMaiSv.exe must be running in 'all' users.

If you run Mail Protection Wizard (Start menu > All programs > avast antivirus) and configure avast to automatic protect all your email accounts, you will set the avast Mail service (ashMaiSv.exe) to automatically run in that user.

The last guess is: did you un-check the Internet Mail provider, i.e., is it enabled or not (check the 'a' icon on system tray).
The best things in life are free.

Rick.Wakeman

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 01:44:16 AM »
ashMaiSv.exe must be running in 'all' users.

If you run Mail Protection Wizard (Start menu > All programs > avast antivirus) and configure avast to automatic protect all your email accounts, you will set the avast Mail service (ashMaiSv.exe) to automatically run in that user.
Didn't work for me.

But please notice: I am only using The Bat! right now, and I am NOT using the support for The Bat! supplied in Avast! (because it woudl crash The Bat!). I configured everything manually through Avast's INI file (SMTP, etc.), and changed my POP settings in The Bat! to use 127.0.0.1, etc. (I only changed POP - trying to use Avast! to scan SMTP caused messages with attachments to sometimes not be sent).

So, having Avast! automatically protect all accounts won't really make a difference in my case.

The last guess is: did you un-check the Internet Mail provider, i.e., is it enabled or not (check the 'a' icon on system tray).
No, it is running.

Thanks for any help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 01:53:52 PM »
I am NOT using the support for The Bat! supplied in Avast! (because it woudl crash The Bat!). I configured everything manually through Avast's INI file (SMTP, etc.), and changed my POP settings in The Bat! to use 127.0.0.1, etc. (I only changed POP - trying to use Avast! to scan SMTP caused messages with attachments to sometimes not be sent).

Strange. I do not use The Bat but other users said the avast plugin works and won't crash The Bat as you said  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Rick.Wakeman

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 06:03:50 PM »
That's  what  I tried first time, but once the plug-in was
  installed, The Bat! would simply not start, it would crash
  immediately. So I set it all up manually.

But  maybe  that could not have to do with the problem I'm   getting  when logging off one user an on to another. I ran  the  Mail  WIzard,  and  selected to protect all accounts,  etc. (even though my The bat! accounts don't appear in the  list).

I  notice  that  if  I  run  the  WIzard  when  the e-mail
  protection  is not working (symptoms described in my first  message  in  the forum, error messages), once it stops the  service and starts it again, it begins to work!

I appreciate any help on this issue.