Author Topic: I need to learn how to do a back up the right way  (Read 40908 times)

sham1313

I need to learn how to do a back up the right way
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
      I need to learn how to do a back up the right way. the only way that I have done it is copy what I want saved on a disk witch I am sure I am not saving all I need if I had to restore it completely. I  do have what is called a flash voyager witch hold some of a back up but not all of it. I have tried a couple of times by clicking on back up and restore files and I want to save it to a disk but it only wants to save it to my F drive witch is my flash voyager. I am not able to fine out how to put it on a disk. can some one help me with that please.
thanks Sharon ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: I need to learn how to do a back up the right way
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
What backup program are you using and what's your operating system ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:10:42 AM »
Click Mozy in my signature and you'll be able to do 2,2Gb of free online backup ;)
Do you want to make a full disk backup (partition backup) or files backup?
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:34:44 AM »
Thank for the suggestion Tech and sorry guy for be off topic. If i need a backup i will try to look at your signature :)

sham1313

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 01:43:58 AM »
thank you i will be doing it soon as I can.  this computer is a littlr over 1 year old and is an HP windows vista. also I did not know there was different types of backup's i just thought you either did just a backup or a re store. i was just wantting a back up not kept on the computer but on a disk. the computer does not have enought room to do a full back up any way.
thanks Sharon

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:34:49 AM »
Flash Voyager (if this is the one) is a usb stick with up to 64Gb of storage, for the big one.
It's not really a backup program; more a medium for storing files etc.
The medium you use for a full backup depends on how full your disk is; that is, how many Gb of information need to be backed up.
Several backup programs exist. These can make images of your entire OS, and using them is somewhat like using system restore.
They include the popular Acronis, Norton GoBack, and Macrium Reflect (free version available.)
The program needs to be installed. Once installed, you will need an external medium large enough to store the backup on. Typically this would be an external hard drive. A 64G flash drive would be sufficient for some systems.
Then the help files should be consulted, and the program set to make the backup, how you want, and where you want.
On my computer making a full disk image in this fashion, on to a 500G hard drive, takes about 30 minutes.
(Haven't had to test the restore function so far.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 09:52:48 AM »
PS, here's the link to the free version of Macrium

sham1313

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »
 I have a few things to reread and then try to do a correct backup. I will let ya all know.
thanks Sharon

sham1313

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »
 :)       before my husband get on this evening I am going to have this post copy pasted on a note pad for my husband to read because he was told it was big enough to hold most any body's back up.
thanks Sharon

Flash Voyager (if this is the one) is a usb stick with up to 64Gb of storage, for the big one.
It's not really a backup program; more a medium for storing files etc.
The medium you use for a full backup depends on how full your disk is; that is, how many Gb of information need to be backed up.
Several backup programs exist. These can make images of your entire OS, and using them is somewhat like using system restore.
They include the popular Acronis, Norton GoBack, and Macrium Reflect (free version available.)
The program needs to be installed. Once installed, you will need an external medium large enough to store the backup on. Typically this would be an external hard drive. A 64G flash drive would be sufficient for some systems.
Then the help files should be consulted, and the program set to make the backup, how you want, and where you want.
On my computer making a full disk image in this fashion, on to a 500G hard drive, takes about 30 minutes.
(Haven't had to test the restore function so far.)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 03:11:47 PM »
Well, it might be.
But there isn't enough information to know.
The required information would be: What size is the flash drive, and what is the total size of the files you want to back up?
And what type of backup do you want?
Just selected files/pictures etc, or an image of the entire disk?
(You can probably answer these questions yourself. If not, happy to help.)

sham1313

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »
in about a hour or 2 I will have more time and will pull the guide up and and look because I don't recall right now. i have been just copy on a disk extra stuff that dont have room for on the flash voyager.
thanks Sharon

sham1313

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 06:15:09 PM »
in one of the posts above said to click Mozy in there signature line when I did I got this.

This site is using an outdated encryption method which is no longer classified as secure. It cannot sufficiently protect sensitive data. Do you wish to continue?

then I was givin this URL http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp and it has a download. I am confusied do I download this and store the full backup on the internet. my husband would not like that idea. or am I total wrong on how to do the backup.
thanks Sharon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 11:21:12 PM »
The site is perfectly ok. There is nothing wrong with encryption used by Mozy... That is a wrong information.
The best things in life are free.

sham1313

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 01:47:16 AM »
my opera browser does that message on a few sites i have tried to view. i am still not sure if i download from mozy or the other URL i was sent if it is suppose to save it all on the internet or what. i am wanting to save it on disk. i still have a lot of reading and well go back and reread both URLs and try to figure it out.
thanks Sharon

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 04:05:37 AM »
in one of the posts above said to click Mozy in there signature line when I did I got this.

This site is using an outdated encryption method which is no longer classified as secure. It cannot sufficiently protect sensitive data. Do you wish to continue?

then I was givin this URL http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp and it has a download. I am confusied do I download this and store the full backup on the internet. my husband would not like that idea. or am I total wrong on how to do the backup.
thanks Sharon

Don't mix up the two methods. Mozy free is an online storage facility. Macrium reflect is a program that allows you to back up files, folders, data, or an entire disk image to an external media, such as an external hard drive.

No reason why you shouldn't use both, if you have certain files on the computer that you would like backed up in more than one location.