Author Topic: I need to learn how to do a back up the right way  (Read 40761 times)

Hard_ROCKER

Re: I need to learn how to do a back up the right way
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2009, 03:39:43 PM »
I'd suggest an external USB or Firewire Harddrive, then use Windows Vista's built-in backup program to schedule backups.  It's free, and very simple to use.  The only problem is that you won't be able to backup exe files and other things that are self-executing.  However, documents and everything can be saved.  Also, entire disk images can be saved as well, so you can restore the entire PC back to how it was when the backup was ran.

You are absolutely correct but should probably also mention that you CANNOT create system images with Vista's built in tool if you are running one of the Vista HOME versions. It is only available with Ultimate, Business and Enterprise versions. :)

sham1313

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 01:50:51 AM »
i am not sure external USB or Firewire Harddrive is that like and old zip drive. my sister Iva and newphew marshall witch I have not seen in years is her for a coupe of days and maybe marshall can help wit this. Idid not know making a backup on disk would be so hard.

sham1313

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 01:54:29 AM »
i am not sure external USB or Firewire Harddrive is that like and old zip drive. my sister Iva and newphew marshall are here witch I have not seen in years.they are here for a coupe of days and maybe marshall can help with this. I did not know making a backup on disks would be so hard. I do thank you for your help.
Sharon

sham1313

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2009, 01:59:05 AM »
i do i did not fine that to click. I may wait a day before I try again
thanks for all your help;
Sharon

sham1313

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2009, 01:13:14 PM »
 :)  >:( :( :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ::)
I am so mad at myself. I had this full post type out I was just adding a big smile at the end and I not sure what  I did wrong, but when I added just one smile the post disappeared and the smile symbols of the smile was there but the post was gone. all that was there was the smile symblem. I tried right clicking to click undo and that word was in a grey aera. so I could not click there. that is why most times I write it down on a note pad 1st then copy paste it here. I hope I can write this post as will as I did the 1st one.
      let see now. what I said was this but first I will show you what I copy pasted of my about my F drive.
my F: drive
used space 8.031.277.056 bytes  7.47 GB
Free space 6.053,888 bytes 5.77 MB
capacty 8,037,330,944bytes

http://www.corsair.com/products/voyager/default.aspx
        now then I think my husband wants to buy some thing bigger like this flash voyager, but not A USB external. what do you think about that?  before my sister and nephew go back to Portland Oregon I will know the best easy way to do a prober backup on this HP windows vista. my sister works at the collage there and Say's there teg there will not even let  windows vista get tried there at work. they were going to wait till the real version of windows 7 comes out before the change from windows XP. she as did a little on my computer and says she knows why I prefer any of the other windows that I have used. I did have more then this wrote the 1st time, but think I remember the best part of what I wrote. I do want to thank you all for caring and helping me and the rest of that need your help with out you most of us would be lost and not having are computers working or how not to loose all we got on our computers.
thanks Sharon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
If you had the text highlighted (selected) then adding the smiley could over type the selected text. If something like this happens in the future press the Ctrl and Z keys, this is an undo command this undoes the last action and may work. It isn't infallible and you may lose a little of what you did but generally all of what you did.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sham1313

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2009, 07:35:06 AM »

my sister before she and my nephew went back to oregon she said she remember she had a friend that was using vista and there was a special program for vista to make a backup and totally  restore  she could not recall the name, but well talk to her friend after her vac. is over and email me as soon as she can with the information. when she does I will come back here and let every knowl what it is and how I had to do it. I still thank every one for there help. Sharon

I'd suggest an external USB or Firewire Harddrive, then use Windows Vista's built-in backup program to schedule backups.  It's free, and very simple to use.  The only problem is that you won't be able to backup exe files and other things that are self-executing.  However, documents and everything can be saved.  Also, entire disk images can be saved as well, so you can restore the entire PC back to how it was when the backup was ran.

You are absolutely correct but should probably also mention that you CANNOT create system images with Vista's built in tool if you are running one of the Vista HOME versions. It is only available with Ultimate, Business and Enterprise versions. :)