Author Topic: Newbie: Desperately need help.  (Read 38534 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Newbie: Desperately need help.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 10:48:50 PM »
Hi 4frustrated,

There is a free removal tool for all variants of the Bugbear family to be downloaded here:
http://ftp.ksu.edu.tr/pub/antivirus/cleaners/bremove.exe

polonus
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:57:08 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »
Cookies aren't dangerous - Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

4frustrated

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 01:33:57 AM »
This is the log from MBAM:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2365
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

7/3/2009 12:37:26 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-03 (12-37-26).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 176575
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 25 minute(s), 54 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I guess it was the Avast report that had the Bugbear worm in it.  I had them both on a Notepad page & I guess I confused them.  Sorry.

Anything I need to do?

Thank you all so much again,

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 01:53:45 AM »
Hi,

Ok so one step at a time. No need to be frustrated as you are almost there.

I don't know if you can see this complete area with all your posts- you can see there is no list of programs that you use
at the bottom of your posts.

You should be able to see this:

Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 4.8 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.5 / Opera 9.64

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

The programs are clearly listed.
avast! 4.8 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.5 / Opera 9.64

Hi.
I ran the MABM & SAS.

The last conclusion was that there were no infections.

Next I ran SAS.  It found 111 cookies & I told it to delete them & remove them.  I know some cookies you are supposed to keep but I was afraid to leave all of them on there because it said they were dangerous.

So this is reassuring. Follow polonus' link and you should be able to "toast" the last of the malware.  As DavidR mentioned there is no need to worry about the cookies. Think of cookies as opinions (every one has one and they offer them to you for free). In reality this is not a just analogy since it neglects some aspects but the point I want to get across is that you can do without them.

Once that's done do one final scan and it should come out as clean.

The FAQ says that a good way to learn is to read the search answers.  Why when you search on the forums are the results in incomplete sentences?  
    How are you supposed to learn from incomplete sentences when there doesn't appear to be any way to get the end of the sentences?

Look at the picture I have attached at the bottom of this post. It's on of my results from a search I did. Now I think you are referring to the idea that the message is chooped up into parts with ... replacing the missing parts. Is this right?
Well the title, which you can see underlined:

Problem with voice in Yahoo messenger

is a hyperlink so clicking on it will take you to the post where the text is fully written. The search results return just enough to give you an idea of what you can find in a thread.
Is this ok?

Hope it helps. If not ... well ask away.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Spiritsongs

Avast "Search" feature
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »
 :)  Hi 4frustrated :

When it comes to using Avast's "Search" feature, I recommend you go One
 more "Step" by clicking on "Advanced search"; that brings up a more detailed
 menu with more Choices that includes using a "Setting" called "Show results
 as messages" which I usually use .

Not sure IF the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Log you posted is the ONLY log !?
 IF there are 2 or more "Logs", then you should have copied and pasted the
 earliest One .

111 "tracking/adware" cookies is an awful lot of cookies; perhaps you should
 consider using a Cookie "Manager", such as the FREE "Cookiewall" ( assuming
 it is compatible with your XP SP3 Operating System !? ) available at
 www.spychecker.com/program/cookiewall.html !?

Regarding "tacf.org " : I have been subscribing to their FREE "Spread the
 Fire" magazine for years and have been printing off Issues from their Site
 since they suspended publishing Hard copies a while back . They recently
 suspended publishing the magazine so I would encourage you to view Past
 Issues on their Site, especially their Last Issue ( May 2009 ) .

4frustrated

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 08:54:20 PM »
Hi, ???

I sure don't understand the way this forum works.  I got on here earlier & I saw the post from me & others yesterday including the report of the MBAM  & SAS scan.  There was a post from Confused Comp. User with many suggestions in it.

I replied with some questions to clarify his suggestions.  Then as I submitted it it asked me for a title & I wrote "more questions."

After I submitted it I checked & it went into a different title & this one when I opened it doesn't have any of last nights post.

I hope the people who have been helping me will go to the new title to read my last questions.

Is there any way to move this to my old title?

I'm totally confused!

4frustrated

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
Hi,

I don't know what is going on.  When I was posting my last post I saw that there was a post from Spirit at the same time.  I had to do something then came back to read his post & the whole website looked different.  There were brightly colored icons for the different people who wrote to me & the picture that Confused Comp. User had posted was there.  When I was on here earlier it was not there.  I clicked on it & was able to enlarge it & read it.  But now all of those things are gone again.  Its kind of spooky.

Are there different settings that make that happen?

Can someone put the "More questions" into this title so it won't be confusing to the people who are trying to help me?

Thank you so much!!!

4frustrated

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 10:49:52 PM »
Hi Spirit,

Thanks for the search suggestion.  I'll try it the next time I do a search.

The MBAM log is the only one I ran.

As far as cookies: I put a question in the other title. Maybe you could check it there.  But trying another program that I don't understand is a little more than I can handle right now.  Just trying to learn how to work this one right now is enough for my non-technical brain to take in.

Re: tacf.com  I used to get the hard copy from them but I haven't received an
online issue for a long time if ever.  I'll have to check it out.   Did they discontinue it completely?

I wonder do you know if I can cut & paste the questions I put in the other title
& post it here?  I'm so bad at this stuff.  When I wrote that post I accidentally moved the mouse & lost the whole thing & had to do it all over again.  The next time I did it I copied it into notepad or I would have lost it a 2nd time.  As I was posting it my 60 min. timed out.  I was so grateful I had copied it to notepad.

Thank you so much for your help.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 12:14:17 AM »
Hi 4frustrated

It does not help to open two different titles to post about the same problems you have on the same computer.

Your two titles :

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46574.msg391418#msg391418
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46521.0

Generally the backtrail of posts on a thread can be more helpful in clarifying a problem than starting a new thread on same problem, regardless of how puzzling some of the issues may have become at different times. Also helpful to remember that different contributors have expertise in different areas - there are very rarely 'fix-everything', 'one size fits all', answers, let alone solutions, to any forum problem. At least until after detection and identification and probably also removal of the problem has been satisfactorily accounted.
And in that regard you do look now to at least be on the way to some resolution of your problem.

Remember also, that no problems are likely to be fully resolved or fixed for all time. You are expected to learn and exercise technology know-how and can-do yourself as part of your participation in the forum - as opposed to leaving your computer at the repair shop for the tech to do the fix. One of the great things about avast and other open source type computer software, apart from being the inexpensive option, is that the end user is expected to apply themselves and have some direct input into the running of their computers, which will help them to decide on what will be their wants and needs for the coming duration of their computer usage (e.g for rest of their lives) and how to best to accomplish these wants and needs for their own advantage, or for other people's benefit (as with teachers).

And also, at times best thing to do is to let computer sit for a while, then come back to problems afresh, and go over what has been accomplished so far - secure ground that has been gained - and work out plan for what might be best way forward from there.
And back to the internet forums with the added knowledge that has been gained.

Regards.   
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 02:09:55 AM »
Hi Confused Computer User,

Thanks for the info.

1. When you originally said that I could see the prog's you used at the bottom of your post you put arrows then there was a line completely across the bottom so I didn't realize that what was written under that line went with your post.  I thought your post ended with the line.  I didn't notice it until later.

2. When you said to follow Polonus link did you mean I should run that for Bugbear etc?

3. You said to run one final scan do you mean Avast scan? If so which kind? ...top button on right, a boot scan, or a thorough scan with archives?

Look at the picture I have attached at the bottom of this post. It's on of my results from a search I did. Now I think you are referring to the idea that the message is chooped up into parts with ... replacing the missing parts. Is this right?

I don't see any picture.

is a hyperlink so clicking on it will take you to the post where the text is fully written. The search results return just enough to give you an idea of what you can find in a thread.
Is this ok?

I don't know what the problem with voice in Yahoo msgr. is about.

6. My problem is with search results.  For example I searched for   "is grayed out"

The results I got were    is grayed out ...     then again the same thing             is grayed out... 
I assume these are places where those words are mentioned.
I understand that  ...   means there is more to follow.  But when I clicked on it-it didn't connect you to what is to follow.  Nothing happened.  There was no answer to why something is grayed out.   How can you learn from that?  Or is there some other way you can connect with the partial sentences to see the rest or find out why something is grayed out?

7. About cookies-what I understand is that websites you go to put cookies on your comp. to track where you surf OR they put cookies on your comp. to make it easier to go back to their website the next time you want to go there. 

The 2nd kind is what I have a question about.  Last night I removed the cookies after the SAS scan.
Later I went into my email & tried to click on a website that regularly sends me info that I want to check on their site.  When I clicked on it Firefox was not able to connect me to it.  So I got out of email and opened FF to go directly to the site-I still couldn't get to it.  How can access sites like these that my comp. no longer has cookies for?

Well I guess that is my list of questions for now.  Again thank you for all your help.
You guys are terrific!

Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 02:34:54 AM »
Ok.

Thanks to mkis I got the post you mentioned. I just posted it again so that others know what's going on.

2. When you said to follow Polonus link did you mean I should run that for Bugbear etc?

Yes. Do take note of what the other users mention in this thread. I would be particularly keen to read/follow polonus' suggestions. He is a veteran in this forum and has much more knowledge than me (computer and otherwise).

I don't see any picture.

Hi,

I don't know what is going on.  When I was posting my last post I saw that there was a post from Spirit at the same time.  I had to do something then came back to read his post & the whole website looked different.  There were brightly colored icons for the different people who wrote to me & the picture that Confused Comp. User had posted was there.  When I was on here earlier it was not there.  I clicked on it & was able to enlarge it & read it.  But now all of those things are gone again.  Its kind of spooky.
Not spooky. The only way yo can see the photo I attached is if you log on/sign in to the forum. If you are just browsing as a visitor you will not see it.
N.B. You can use CCU instead of Confused Comp. User. I think most members will know who you are referring to.

Is this ok?

I don't know what the problem with voice in Yahoo msgr. is about.

6. My problem is with search results.  For example I searched for   "is grayed out"

The results I got were    is grayed out ...     then again the same thing             is grayed out... 
I assume these are places where those words are mentioned.
I understand that  ...   means there is more to follow.  But when I clicked on it-it didn't connect you to what is to follow.  Nothing happened.  There was no answer to why something is grayed out.   How can you learn from that?  Or is there some other way you can connect with the partial sentences to see the rest or find out why something is grayed out?
I ... ???... well I think I'm really confused no wait, I really am. Did following Spiritsongs' suggestions concerning the advanced search help?

7. About cookies-what I understand is that websites you go to put cookies on your comp. to track where you surf OR they put cookies on your comp. to make it easier to go back to their website the next time you want to go there. 

The 2nd kind is what I have a question about.  Last night I removed the cookies after the SAS scan.
Later I went into my email & tried to click on a website that regularly sends me info that I want to check on their site.  When I clicked on it Firefox was not able to connect me to it.  So I got out of email and opened FF to go directly to the site-I still couldn't get to it.  How can access sites like these that my comp. no longer has cookies for?

I never saw this happen before. Wait to see if the others have anything to say about this.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:10:48 PM by Confused Computer User »
Computer Systems:

4frustrated

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 02:14:58 AM »
Hi,

I'm realizing that when I login it tells me:Warning - while you were reading 15 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. 
then I scroll down I don't see any new posts & the page is all plain-no colored icons for the different people that have replied to me.  And there is only one page.

Yesterday when I told you that it was different & had brightly colored icons for the people who replied to me & there were 2 pages of posts & replies.
When CCU told me that he put a picture at the bottom of his post-when I was in this view (plain page) there was no picture but when I got on the colored pages it was there.

CCU said
Not spooky. The only way yo can see the photo I attached is if you log on/sign in to the forum. If you are just browsing as a visitor you will not see it.

When I log in it tells me that I can stay logged in forever or something like that & that's where I clicked.  I was not on here as a visitor.  Today I logged in but nothing is colored etc. & some of the pages are missing.  Also CCU's picture that he posted at the bottom of his post is not there today.

Am I somehow in a different place on the forums? 
I would like to understand how to navigate this forum.

Thanks for your help.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 03:06:37 AM »
Outside of your problems with forum software, how is your computer running now?

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46521.msg391320#msg391320

Otherwise fine?
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

4frustrated

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
Hi mkis,

Yes.

I see that you put a link there.  Am I supposed to run that?

I want to explain to you that I am not at all technically savvy.  I didn't put a 2nd title on here because I'm lazy.  Just plain & simple-I don't know what I'm doing on this forum.

If you read the posts I wrote right after I made the mistake-when I realized I had started a 2nd title I asked someone to please move it to this title.  Thank you for putting the link to it on here so that someone could move it to this title.

I have only ever used one other forum before & I wasn't very good at that.  This forum is very different than that one.

I did not take my computer to a shop & drop it off.  I am trying to learn.  That's why I am here asking so many questions.

I really appreciate all that everyone on this forum has done to help me.  You are all so helpful.  Thanks again.

4frustrated

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 11:42:16 PM »
Hi,

One more question.  Do I need to run another scan?  Or can I consider my computer virus free.

Oops, I have a 2nd question.  Do you people use firewalls like Zone Alarm?

I do have Defender on here.  I know it's is not a firewall.  I
just wanted to mention so you would know.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thank you so much fo all your help!