Author Topic: Winrar  (Read 7669 times)

roro

Winrar
« on: July 02, 2009, 07:08:10 AM »
When I reinstalled my XP OS, I lost my Winrar application that was free.  I did a search here and found links for Stuffit, 7-zip, and The Unarchiver, but would really like a free application of Winrar or something similar. I don't really want one that is free only for a trial period.  Does anyone have any good suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

RoRo

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Winrar
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »
I use 7Zip. Popular. No problems.  There are a few others, that I've seen other users recommend, they are probably very good, too.
One thing you may find is that whatever you replace Winrar (or Winzip) with will be a lot less of a resource hog.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

roro

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:17:03 AM »
Thanks Tarq56,
I found my old Winrar file and will probably install it for now since I was used to it, but am still interested in other opinions.
RoRo

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:48:36 AM »
Most geeks use 7-zip. Supports plenty of formats and has it's own format(.7z) that is just darn good. :)

Conogo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:59:16 AM »
Yes myself also use 7-zip and found it really good.  :)

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »
Most geeks use 7-zip. Supports plenty of formats and has it's own format(.7z) that is just darn good. :)

7-zip +1 so that must make me a geek

Beware of geeks bearing gifs:
http://www.thecampuscomic.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/trojanhorse.gif

roro

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:39:29 PM »
The last thing I am is a geek.  I wish I felt more confident about doing computer stuff.  I have had computers since Windows 95 and feel fairly comfortable, but need a lot of backup for doing things new.  That is why I ask questions on this forum.  Everyone is so helpful.
I thank you all for being so kind.

RoRo

dansorin

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
7-zip is a good free option. but, in my opinion, nothing beats Winrar.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »
I alway used Winrar and had no problem with it. Its got a lot compatibility with some differents files.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »
IZArc is another option. Better in my opinion. Why should we consider WinRar better?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »
I too give my vote for 7zip, I have tried winrar and didn't like the interface, especially the number of entries it creates on the right click menu, but it has been some time since I had it installed. 7zip is just really easy to use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dansorin

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 08:56:45 PM »
the rar-archive has a better compression than zip-archives. it makes no difference that some other archive type is, on some file types, slightly better than rar. because, let's face it, if you want compatibility with the rest of the world, you can only use zip or rar.

PS: and likeing/dislikeing of the interface is a matter of taste or habit. you can also choose which options you get on the right-click menu. and i can't imagine that other archivators are easyer to use. but maybe it's just me  :).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 09:03:32 PM »
Other programs allow configuration (of the context menu and default extensions).
Compatibility is easy if you convert to exe file. Compatibility is easy if you just install a free program on the other side.
IZarc works perfectly with zip.
The best things in life are free.

dansorin

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 09:21:36 PM »
when I mean compatibility I'm reffering to all the users who would be interested in your (generally speaking) files, not just a few friends.

...Compatibility is easy if you convert to exe file. ...
how many out there would download an exe-file? how many would even know that it's an archive? that's one reason we don't see exe-archives, but rar or zip-archives.

...Compatibility is easy if you just install a free program on the other side. ...
and here you have the compatibility issue.

...IZarc works perfectly with zip.
IZarc is also a great option for a free archivator. but every established archivator is working perfectly with the zip-format.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 12:06:04 AM »
I guess one of the main reasons most of us are on 7-Zip is not just because it's a good program but it's also free. WinRar is not. And since almost all other compression utils(winrar included) support the 7z format we are not worried about compatibility one tiny bit. At least not me...

I should also mention that windows doesn't support the rar format natively so you have to install some sort of utility that supports it just like you do with 7z. So your argument about compatibility really holds no water does it ? You have to install additional software to support both formats ...