Author Topic: avast linux home and fedora 11 x64  (Read 6894 times)

NiveusLuna

avast linux home and fedora 11 x64
« on: July 15, 2009, 08:03:58 PM »
I know there's a topic on this already, but a forum warning advised me to make a new topic.

Anyway. avast linux home appears to be a 32-bit app. using PackageKit, I've installed all the packages that the RPM installation needs. There's a problem, though: avast! wants something called libexpat.so.0. the library that the x86 expat package for Fedora x64 provides is libexpat.so.1. The x64 version doesn't have a libexpat.so.0, either.

I don't know if these are the same thing or not. If they are, I think Alwil needs to address this. I don't know how to smack the redhat package manager into believing it's installed.

I have gotten the .tar.gz version to work partially from the command line. It crashes partway into the scan. I haven't tried the GUI yet and don't feel like pushing my luck.

Anyone have ideas on making the RPM version work? I'd like to be able to use it from /usr/bin, and using symlinks doesn't work.

Thanks!

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: avast linux home and fedora 11 x64
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
I know there's a topic on this already, but a forum warning advised me to make a new topic.

Anyway. avast linux home appears to be a 32-bit app. using PackageKit, I've installed all the packages that the RPM installation needs. There's a problem, though: avast! wants something called libexpat.so.0. the library that the x86 expat package for Fedora x64 provides is libexpat.so.1. The x64 version doesn't have a libexpat.so.0, either.

I don't know if these are the same thing or not. If they are, I think Alwil needs to address this. I don't know how to smack the redhat package manager into believing it's installed.

I have gotten the .tar.gz version to work partially from the command line. It crashes partway into the scan. I haven't tried the GUI yet and don't feel like pushing my luck.

Anyone have ideas on making the RPM version work? I'd like to be able to use it from /usr/bin, and using symlinks doesn't work.

Thanks!

Hallo,
try to install the newer one, and make a symlink libeaxpat.so.0, just pointing to libexpat.so.1. SONAMEs are about filenames (unless the interface of the library changes and that change isn't backward compatible).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)