Author Topic: AVAST Home on Widows 7  (Read 2344 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Shep

  • Guest
AVAST Home on Widows 7
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:39:57 AM »
I installed the RC of Windows 7 on a new PC and then Avast Home and both worked fine for weeks.

For curiosity I used a Linux O/S to test from the Linux CD (did not install, just used the demo function that supposedly will not alter any files on your O/S installation) When I rebooted after using the CD demo, the Avast 'On Access Scanner' icon was showing nothing running so I 'right click start on access protection' - nothing happened. Next went into services and tried to start from there.  Avast Antivirus returned error message 1053 'The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion' Avast mail and web scanner returned error 1068...'the dependency service or group failed to start' Tried starting Avast Standard Shield and it produced 'unknown error 'Standard Shield provider not found.

I uninstalled Avast, rebooted and reinstalled with exactly the same results...even tried the Avast repair function. It looks like a format/reinstall of Win 7 is on the cards, unless anybody can give me something else to try please?

Ray
Edit...I read the FAQ on "the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error" and decided to format/reinstall Windows 7. Never did find the solution to the problem and it was quicker to format/reinstall and everything working fine again - this time with a recovery image!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:31:45 PM by Shep »

Offline Lisandro

  • Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
  • *
  • Posts: 67241
Re: AVAST Home on Widows 7
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »
Weird eh? But now that you've restored the image, it won't be possible to troubleshoot.
Anyway, glad you have all working back. Remember, Windows 7 is still on tests.
The best things in life are free.

Shep

  • Guest
Re: AVAST Home on Widows 7
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 05:53:53 AM »
I was thinking about the problem after it was all reinstalled and working perfectly again. It crossed my mind that it may not have been the testing of Ubuntu that caused the error in Avast but my attempt at getting my other Networked systems to access files on W7. Two Vista 64-BIT a W2K and three XP Pro could see and access files in my personal directory but no other files were available.

Messing about with file ownership and general Network stuff is never too easy for me and it may have been me changing ownership of files that 'jiggered' it all up. W7 seems especially stubborn in allowing other PC's access to files - not a bad thing but as you say, we will never know exactly, unless I have the same trouble again.

Ray