Author Topic: avast 4.8 home edition  (Read 2219 times)

wodenob45

avast 4.8 home edition
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »
Hi folks i have a question .When i boot up the windowsxp I get a warning     
POP3 protocol
error 10049
check that .ashMaiSV.exe is not being blocked by fire wall

I'm using comodo fw and cant find where to look to find what the problem is
or wether its a software prob or virus ,as i have had to remove avg free  recently due to its not loading properly on boot up.any plain English answers will be greatly appreciated as i am in the age group that looks upon these things as monsters that try to tear my mind apart
regards Dennis

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast 4.8 home edition
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »
The first thing I would suggest is to ensure all remnants of AVG are gone before digging any further.

AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

What is your email program ?
Do you have to use SSL (secure encrypted) email ?

It might be better to post the full text of the error.

AVG used to change your email account settings so that it could scan them, I don't know if when you removed it these email account settings were reset to their defaults, I would check your email accounts and ensure the settings are correct.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security