Author Topic: Information on Threatfire  (Read 8436 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Information on Threatfire
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 02:09:46 AM »
This can be an issue, and although it has never happened to me, I have seen much discussion on the TF forums concerning avilable options when  a process is flagged. The main beef is that there is no option to "ignore".
However, for threats that are "non malicious", that is, the process isn't actually on a blacklist, just unknown, the options I have available are "prompt me".
I don't know if that is the default option or not. But you do want to be prompted. The other options are "allow" and "quarantine". I would suggest "quarantine" would be an option that, if selected, could have the result described above.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Northeast

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »
Hi guys, and Tech thanks for replying to my post about threatfire, well I installed it and it did clash with spyware terminator shield and avast at the beginning where it though spyware termin shield and avast ash was malware and it actually quarintine the avast files automatically which i then restored and then it deleted one of the avast mail scanner, so then i had to repair the avast antivirus and got back the mail scanner file that was missing and so far Im testing it and it has gone well so far as to see how it goes farther down the track.

Imo the best way to prevent malware, spyware is to try and prevent it from installing into the computer in the first place as I had some resdient scanners to prevent those nasties from coming into my hard drive and I had on demand scanner like malwarebytes, superantispyware, a-squared which I scan about 1 a week and it find no spyware (only tracking cookies) at all.

So here my security arsenal if people want to follow it to try and be malware free.

Spyware blaster, comodo fw, avast av, spyware terminator (installed Shield only from the program) winpatrol, threatfire, firefox (with no script), and here are my on demand scanner just incase it has got through my security, malware bytes, superantispyware, a-squared, bit defender 10 free edition.

And I just uninstalled spybots and imo ad-aware and spybots are out of date software that were good about 8-10 years ago but not now.   

And DavidR I saw ur sig and u have mail washer pro, do u know if the free version scans for hotmail, yahoo, and gmail. as I would like to secure my emails and check to see if they are safe before from opening them.

YoKenny

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 03:30:39 PM »
And DavidR I saw ur sig and u have mail washer pro, do u know if the free version scans for hotmail, yahoo, and gmail. as I would like to secure my emails and check to see if they are safe before from opening them.
I like POP Peeper
Description
POP Peeper is an email notifier that runs in your Windows task bar and alerts you when you have new email on your POP3, IMAP (with IDLE support), Hotmail\MSN\LiveMail, Yahoo, GMail, Mail.com, MyWay, Excite, iWon, Lycos.com, RediffMail, Juno and NetZero accounts. IMAP supports allows you to access AOL, AIM, Netscape and other services. Send mail directly from POP Peeper and use the address book to email your frequently used contacts. POP Peeper allows you to view messages using HTML or you can choose to safely view all messages in rich or plain text. Several options are available that will decrease or eliminate the risks of reading your email (viruses, javascript, webbugs, etc). POP Peeper can be run from a portable device and can be password protected. Many notification options are availble to indicate when new mail has arrived, such as sound alerts (configurable for each account), flashing scroll lock, skinnable popup notifier, customized screensaver and more.
http://www.poppeeper.com

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »

It used to be OK on Hotmail when I used it, but that was some years ago when it was MS WebDev that did the conversion from web mail to download with an email client like OE, mailwasher just imports the account settings from your email client to use. I have no idea if this still works as MS are changing to DeltaSync to do the conversion.

I have never used Yahoo (if a pop3 account it should) or Gmail so I don't know if that would work or not.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 05:21:11 AM »
Spyware blaster, comodo fw, avast av, spyware terminator (installed Shield only from the program) winpatrol, threatfire, firefox (with no script), and here are my on demand scanner just incase it has got through my security, malware bytes, superantispyware, a-squared, bit defender 10 free edition.
Well, IMO that's way too heavy. You have too many overlaps from programs offering similar areas of protection.
But, if it works for you problem free, go for it.

FWIW, from that list I'd do away with ST, Winpatrol, and Firefox, and just used the D+  in Comodo.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.