Author Topic: My XP Crashed to BLUE screen with AVAST installed  (Read 9025 times)

lawrencechiu

My XP Crashed to BLUE screen with AVAST installed
« on: June 10, 2003, 09:39:15 AM »
 :-[ I like to use the avast and had been using it since avast 32 on my W2K PC. Recently I upgraded (fresh-install) my PC to WinXP PRO SP1 but experience the new environment totally crash to BLUE screen (with error message and dump numbers different each time) and force me to switch off my machine in order not to harm my OS (as WINXP "said"). Now I can still use my Win XP but not comfortable because I have to have my avast 4 uninstalled - that's totally not my desire to work under such environemtn without any anti-virus protection. Please, kindly help to advise what's wrong. The crash incidence happened whenever the WinXP finsihed its startup process and the cursor stop at the desktop. A few times the Windows could report it found serious error and asking to send the report to microsoft but the point is I could not even to react to connect to internet then my PC was crashed. Please, I want to have avast 4 install back. Thank very much.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:My XP Crashed to BLUE screen with AVAST installed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 08:55:09 AM »
Hi,

I'd need the dump file. A minidump would be sufficient for the first guess of what was really going on. Can you send it to me (preferably by email)?

And, you didn't have any other AV program installed at the moment you were trying avast, did you? ;)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2003, 01:05:04 PM »
One more thing - I noticed you're from East Asia - were you using some East-Asian version of Windows? Chinese maybe?

That can make a difference...

Vlk

lawrencechiu

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 05:24:17 PM »
Hi Vlk,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regarding the screen dump, I think I have difficulty to do that as each time my PC was crashed to the BLUE TEXT screen, ie, the Windows GUI screen was no longer valid and my PC only reacted to the Power button. Therefore, each time when the crash happened, what I could do was only read the error message and then press the power button to switch off my machine.

Moreover, since I doubt the crash was due to the installation (right after) of Avast for my new windows XP, so I had already reinstalled the Windows and I dare not to install the Avast 4 again until I can get some firm support from Avast. So, if you think I must provide you a screen dump of the incidence then I think I had to install the Avast again to see if the incidence would happen or not. Indeed I had re-installed my Win Xp trying to prove myself if the incidence was due to the Avast. However, after the third time of installation of my XP but without installing the Avast (the first two with Avast as well), my system has no longer experience the crash. I think I have no choice to accept the "fact".

I have not installed any other anti-virus program unless the XP has some protection auto switched-on but I don't know. So none from myself.

Furthermore, I really have not imagined that the language type of the Windows may affect the stability of Avast as I could not find any mentions from Avast.com. Neverthless, I am using a pure English version of XP Pro SP1 but of course with my locale things set to my home country. I'm from Hong Kong. In order to give you more idea, I am attaching a screen dump of my current Regional Option setting.

Again, thank you very much and looking foward to hearing from you for your advice.

Cheers,

Lawrence Chiu
 ;)

jdong

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2003, 12:24:06 AM »
By "dump", Vlk meant the Memory Dump. Every time your computer goes to a blue screen, it automatically writes a file called MINIDMP (in %systemroot%\). That file contains vital debugging info.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 12:31:28 AM »
jdong, thanks.

lawrance, jdong is right, I don't need a screen-dump, I need "the dump". ;D

Thanks
Vlk

lawrencechiu

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 11:47:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

OK, in that case, I will need to download and install again the Avast 4 to see if my XP would crash or not. If yes, then after restart, I could send you guys the "minidump".

Cheers,

Lawrence

lawrencechiu

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 03:32:41 PM »
Bingo ! My PC is crashed again right after installing the Avast 4. I am sending you via another email the "Minidump" for your information.

By the way, please tell me how I could send an attachment via Avast forum ? I could not find any "button" related to this. Thanks.

Lawrence Chiu

lawrencechiu

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 05:35:26 PM »
Vlk,

Marvellous ! Having installed your suggested new version, I left my PC staying power on for already an hour, it is no longer crash ! Thank you very much ! You have solved my problem which had ennoying me for weeks ! By the way, could you tell me what the problem is for the crash so that I can avoid it in future.

Thanks again !

Cheers  :D

Lawrence Chiu