Author Topic: Web Shield denies browser function.  (Read 2317 times)

Clivast

Web Shield denies browser function.
« on: July 06, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »
I have just installed Avast 4.8 Home, build 4.8.1335, VPS file version 090705-0.
Running this program denies me function of any of my web browsers (Opera, Firefox, IE).  I normally use Opera and can see some text on Virgin Media Homepage ( Virgin is my ISP) but cannot go elsewhere.  Trying to use IE puts up an error caption and promptly sends my CPU to 100% usage, necessitating a restart of the PC.  ( Windows XP Home, AMD 3200 processor).

I eventually found that clicking Terminate the Web Shield allows normal web browser function.  ( Pause does not do the trick).  There is a possible solution on the forum which is to get the firewall to accept ashWebSv.exe.

I use the free edition of Sunbelt Personal Firewall 4.  I guessed that Avast would record itself as an Application in the Network Security listing, but this has not occurred   I have so far failed to get the firewall to recognize Avast.  Would a Sunbelt user please give me a detailed walk through of all the necessary steps.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Web Shield denies browser function.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:51:18 PM »
You can try to purge all your firewall entries related to webshield (ashwebsv.exe process), then start WebShield again (provided it is already terminated). Sunbelt should now catch the event and notify you about a new application.

In normal operation, WebShield starts pretty soon and there is a possibility it is already running when Sunbelt firewall is ready to display any popups for you -- that might confuse the firewall.

Clivast

Re: Web Shield denies browser function.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
Thanks for the prompt reply.
In Sunbelt, there seem to be only two suitable places to look for anything relating to Avast, particularly ashwebsv.exe.  Overview and Network Security.  There is nothing I can identify as being suitable to purge.
Perhaps an actual user of Sunbelt can direct me to the exact spot and give precise instructions as to how to purge and then have Sunbelt accept Avast .

I now find that Terminate action on Web Shield is not sufficient to get full browser service.  Opera 9.64 build 10487 will not access Hotmail, likewise Opera 8.  Disabling all Avast Installed Providers does allow just Firefox to access Hotmail.  My Virgin ISP and Pop Peeper mail services directly to the PC work normally in all circumstances.

It is noteworthy that I have been having problems, starting about two weeks ago, getting web pages to load reliably………….. having to do an unusual amount of page reload.  My thinking was that something actively associated with all my browsers was slowing/blocking the process.  I have had an older version of Avast installed for over 12 months without any problem.  Deciding that this program could be the common denominator, I removed it with Add Remove Pro, cleaned the Registry with CCleaner and obtained a new Avast from CNet. (obviously, Avast was my previous AV…… this seems important in Forum comment)   It is this newest Avast which is giving the most problems.  I am not well versed in computer mechanics, more a ‘follow the Wizard person’.  It surprises me that Sunbelt does not simply accept Avast, as it did in the past.