Author Topic: Lotus Domino Provider - The provider is waiting for a subsystem to start  (Read 11330 times)

bridge

Hi all,
I've just installed avast server 4.8 (managed edition build 4.8.1038) with domino plugin from ADNM (build 4.8.975) on a windows server 2003 R2 stand ed. and lotus domino server release 8.5
Installation process finished without error or problem but the domino provider is not running.
On the list of installed providers I can see Lotus domino (v.4.8.1038) that is waiting for a subsystem to start.
From the log view I don't see nothing interesting but opening file selfdef.log I see the following error messages:

06/07/2009 10.40.31   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 10.40.31   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 10.40.31   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 10.40.32   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 10.40.32   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 10.40.32   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db denied. [PID 2312]
06/07/2009 10.40.32   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log denied. [PID 2312]
06/07/2009 12.12.21   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 12.12.21   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 12.12.22   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 12.12.22   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 12.12.22   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 12.12.22   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log denied. [C:\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Domino\avdomsrv.EXE]
06/07/2009 12.12.23   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log denied. [PID 1316]
06/07/2009 12.36.06   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Error.log denied. [C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE]
06/07/2009 12.36.15   Write access to file \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\AshWebSv.ws denied. [C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE]

Please help

ciao
Massimo

wpn

what is the server running you installed it on?
what right does the account u installed avast with have ?

bridge

- the server is a virtual machine under vmware esx 3.5.0 build 158874
- account is administrator

wpn

i actually wanted to know which version of windows server

bridge

... on a windows server 2003 R2 stand ed ...

wpn

my bad, didnt see it in the text, read too fast....

can you check on the folders where the problems are if the user that avast is running under and installed with has to correct rights and inheritted the correct rights?

bridge

the folder C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA has administrators and SYSTEM full control access
the folder C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log has everyone full control access

Windows is into dmz, network configured in workgroup (no windows domain) and has only administrator user (the one we use to log on).
No other antivirus or spyware installed, only avast/domino/vmware tools/explorer 8/win2003 sp2 are installed.

ciao
Massimo

wpn

did u deploy the package with the ADNM console (seen its in a DMZ i dont think so)

if you did try creating an installation package with ADNM and install the package manually
seems like the installation wasnt succesfully

bridge

did u deploy the package with the ADNM console (seen its in a DMZ i dont think so)
Yes I did and the installation was completed without error

if you did try creating an installation package with ADNM and install the package manually
seems like the installation wasnt succesfully
Yes I did a manually installation with ADNM package and it seems wasnt succesfully.
I've also installed downloading the package from avast.com, installation was ok but provider always waiting for a subsystem to start

wpn

is there anything in your windows event logs or in your domino logs ?

im running out of options since i dont know domino other then by name

bridge

is there anything in your windows event logs or in your domino logs ?
always same error:
EventID 90: Storage query "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db" failed. Error description: "CREATE DATABASE failed (14) [14]". 

If I try to customize Lotus Domino Provider under Logging tab and click on format I get the followinf error:
"The Lotus Domino Server could not be reached. This can be caused by the fact that the avast! server task (AvDomSrv.exe) has not been already started, or because the server is down"
Obviously the server is not down, it seems the task AvDomSrv cannot start.

I've also opened a ticket since july the 7th but I'm still wating for an answer (even a massage like "we are working on it" would be appreciated)!!
This situation is getting me angry, my server is unprotect against virus since almost 10 days and we are still talking about event viewer.

im running out of options since i dont know domino other then by name
Is there anybody else who can help? I think maybe someone who knows Domino can have ideas how to solve this problem.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Could you please try disabling the avast self-defense module? (avast settings -> Troubleshooting -> Disable self-defense).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

bridge

Could you please try disabling the avast self-defense module? (avast settings -> Troubleshooting -> Disable self-defense).

Thanks
Vlk
thanks, thanks again thanks! now it works.

wpn

Thanks
Vlk

Hi VLK

can you explain here what is the thought behind disabling selfdefense to make something work??
its obscure that you have to disable protection to get protection....
(further more i would like to dig in your Avast knowledge here in the forum more often :))

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
can you explain here what is the thought behind disabling selfdefense to make something work??
its obscure that you have to disable protection to get protection....
Self defense module is intended to protect avast settings and services.
Changes the status of them requires to disable, temporally, the self defense module.
The best things in life are free.