Author Topic: Avast! Antivirus services keeps stopping  (Read 14486 times)

liteswap

Avast! Antivirus services keeps stopping
« on: July 06, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
Hi

I switched from AVG over a year ago and haven't found any problems with using avast on all my Windows boxes - but recently on my main XP Pro machine, the Avast! antivirus service keeps stopping. I can't find any particular reason or trigger for this behaviour.

It restarts OK both from the services.msc snap-on and from the command line, although I get a permission denied error when I try to alter its properties so that it restarts automatically if it stops.

Could these two things be related? Is there a fix? Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! Antivirus services keeps stopping
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »
I would suggest a couple of other scans to check that there isn't something malacious trying to disable avast.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

Not sure what AVG version you had, but I would also suggest ensuring it has gone completely - AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.grisoft.com/ww.download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:06:24 PM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Maybe some infection is preventing avast to be correctly installed. So, David has posted the directions to get clean.
The best things in life are free.

liteswap

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:10:10 AM »
Thanks for the pointers guys. Have ensured that the machine was clean (I was pretty certain anyway, as I run a tight ship here - I recognise processes that weren't there yesterday!) but the problem still seems to be occurring occasionally.

I've mitigated it with a looping AutoIT script that checks every five seconds for the existence of the ashserv.exe process and restarts it automatically when it fails, since I can't access the service's properties to do it the official Windows way - access denied.

Any further thoughts welcomed...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:18:58 PM »
Did you try the repair?
Or failing that a full re-install from scratch, also using the Avast uninstall utlity.
Did you also use the AVG remover?
The access denied box is likely to be the Avast self-defense module preventing any tampering. (Program settings>troubleshooting) Tick the box that says "disable Avast self defense module", but I would be inclined to try the other methods suggested, first. You shouldn't be needing to write scripts (or otherwise modifying properties) to restart a stopping service.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

liteswap

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »
Many thanks for the swift reply. I have:
1. reinstalled
2. run the AVG remover (it's been long gone)
3. Run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
4. Now set the service to restart (and disabled my script).

Let's see what happens...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:01:11 PM »
OK.
But the point is, it shouldn't stop in the first place. Setting it to restart is a workaround, but doesn't solve the issue.
Did you run the uninstall utility when re-installing Avast?
Try a repair?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »
Some infection is preventing you to correct install avast.
Read the instructions, download and burn (maybe from another computer), finally use one of this rescue CD's:
1. Avira
2. Kaspersky
3. BitDefender
4. F-Secure
5. Dr. Web

sham1313

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »
is this some thing I should have?   Avira AntiVir Rescue System
Sharon

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »
is this some thing I should have?   Avira AntiVir Rescue System
Not unless you have a serious malware infestation not fixable by the scanners you already have.

It's best downloaded to burn to a disk, using a clean computer, once the affected computer has been compromised. It is then saved as an iso and burned to a disk that can be used at boot in the sick computer.

Why not get it now, I hear you ask?
The file is updated regularly to deal with the latest threats. So to get it now, and use it in, say, 6 months, is not going to be so effective.

sham1313

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
thanks good to know i just have it mark if i ever need it witch i hope i don't but if i do i will have handi if i need it.
Sharon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
thanks good to know i just have it mark if i ever need it witch i hope i don't but if i do i will have handi if i need it.
Sharon
I think you need... if avast can't be correctly installed, you have, basically, two options:
1. Leftovers of old antivirus installations.
2. Your computer is infected.

sham1313

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 06:43:30 PM »
i have already have it installed for at least as long as i have been a member . and it is working great!! avast has protected my computer sense i have had avast scanner running on my computer. last night it stopped a virus cold. it is in the virus chest right now. advast itself told me there was nothing to worry about. i have said that at least 4 or 5 times sense i started this topic. am i that hard to understand. i also said even tho no one thought it would do any good to use the removal tool again. i did it any way. i did another HJ and avast scanner.the HJ did not have that link on in the log any more, and avast has one virus in the chest. i thing that last time did get rid of any left over avg there might be. as well as i turn on the windows firewall and there was no avg firewall there it is gone from the only place i have found any avg. matter of fact the avg i used 2 times because it says some times it takes more then one time of having to use it.
also even tho i have found no other nortin on my computer i use there removal tool any way.. the trouble i had with my screen i thing had to do with the left over avg i had at just that time, but that is no longer there.    it is no longer there.
the other trouble i had with the computer going dead is fixed now too. my husband moved the little blocks in a different spot under the computer because i needed the key board to be a little higher up for a certain reach i have to have.

the computer has been on now for 2 1/2 days and i have not had one bit of trouble with the computer other then the virus that is in the avast scanner chest.
did you understand me this time.  i have thank every one that has help witch is mean's you too.
                                        my computer is OK now better then what i have had it before. Sharon