Author Topic: if computer seems to be running slow  (Read 13471 times)

jthomson3rd

if computer seems to be running slow
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »
my computer seems to be running slowly after i'v had it on for a few minutes.

maybe i have too many processes running.   it does what i ask it to but there is a long delay.

Should i try what i found in a search on thi forum,...

"somebody was told to go through the msconfig procedure, then select the start up tab and Disable all'

this will make start up better probably but i'm not sure about running...

thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: if computer seems to be running slow
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:33:11 AM »
It's very difficult to troubleshoot. We need much more info.
Open Task Manager and check which program is taking the CPU. Or, better, use Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) and let it open. Sort the entries by the CPU usage. Which program is the culprit?
The best things in life are free.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:39:38 AM »
You can use WinPatrol to disable start ups, just disable the ones you don't need. ;)

WinPatrol has many uses from blocking spyware to showing what's running. ;)

For more detail of what is running try Autoruns &
Process Explorer.

jthomson3rd

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 02:26:12 AM »
thankyou i'll try those.. i also forgot to disk de-frag,
so hopefully that will help too

jthomson3rd

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 02:28:33 AM »
It's very difficult to troubleshoot. We need much more info.
Open Task Manager and check which program is taking the CPU. Or, better, use Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) and let it open. Sort the entries by the CPU usage. Which program is the culprit?

when you say which is the culprit? how will i know how much cpu a program should use? thanks

Conogo

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »
You can use WinPatrol to disable start ups, just disable the ones you don't need. ;)

But I have little knowledge to judge some of them whether needly or useful ...  :-\

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »

But I have little knowledge to judge some of them whether needly or useful ...  :-\

That's where WinPatrol PLUS shines.

There is always Google.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
when you say which is the culprit? how will i know how much cpu a program should use? thanks
System idle process should typically use the most. (It's actually not doing anything, but shows how much CPU is available.)
Other processes use a few % at times, when the computer is running them. If any program constantly uses more than about 5% or 10%, time to start looking at why, in my experience.
It's not unusual for some programs to briefly use almost all of it, (>80-90%) very briefly, while starting or performing labour intensive operations.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »
Did you download and install Process Explorer? Isn't there a column called "CPU"?

jthomson3rd

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 07:53:11 PM »
Did you download and install Process Explorer? Isn't there a column called "CPU"?
I just downloaded/installed process explorer,  and there is a CPU  column

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »
So, just follow it ;)

jthomson3rd

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 10:57:08 PM »
So, just follow it ;)
there are 79 processes and the  physical usage percent keeps changing but now it is at 87 perent... up down..  many diff colors..

i did kill the 'big fix' process because it always says it has important fixes but then seems, empty

but i'm not sure what else to do, or how to follow the PROCESS EXPLORER's read out

it seem that iexplore.exe is using the most cpu

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
The idea is to get an idea of what processes using say the top 3-5 highest CPU % and report them here.

If they are non essential then they don't need to run in the background.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CharleyO

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:08:29 AM »

It seems to me that 79 running processes is a few too many. It is twice as many as is running (39 processes) when I start up my computer but that is a relative thing. I suggest you do as the others suggest and let us know what processes are using the most cpu percentages.

jthomson3rd

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 07:08:16 PM »

It seems to me that 79 running processes is a few too many. It is twice as many as is running (39 processes) when I start up my computer but that is a relative thing. I suggest you do as the others suggest and let us know what processes are using the most cpu percentages.

i unistaled a few unnecessary items like the ask toolbar and the crawler toolbar.. i tried to uninstall the yahoo toolbar but it won't let me..

i clicked in the CPU header on the process explorer.  I CAN'T find the process explorer program from the start menu without gong  to the installation pkge and clicking run, it is lik there isn't an icon...

i attached 2 screeenshots of the process explore. thanks

iexplore appears 4 times..

i think i shoud get rid of bojour too
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:13:07 PM by jthomson3rd »