Author Topic: if computer seems to be running slow  (Read 13480 times)

jthomson3rd

Re: if computer seems to be running slow
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 09:21:38 PM »
here is the process explorer text,
it is impressive how all this computer stuff makes so much sense to you all

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
i tried to uninstall the yahoo toolbar but it won't let me.
Try RevoUninstaller.
Also, I think your computer is slow due to the set avast + Comodo + SpywareTerminator.
Why would you kept ST nowadays?
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 10:17:53 PM »

You could also try ToolbarCop http://www.snapfiles.com/get/toolbarcop.html.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jthomson3rd

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 11:49:37 PM »
toolbarcop, i'll try that

contribute toolbar and yahoo toolbar aren't even showing up in add/remove programs list

crazy

i downloaded spyware terminator to help me find something, but i think i have enough of an aresonal. so maybe i don't need it,
how high of a level should i have avast set at?
thanks

i took a screenshot showing toolbars still in IE

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 11:53:34 PM »
Hi jthomson3rd,

You could also scan with this malware fixing tool - freefixer, the latest release can be downloaded here:
http://www.freefixer.com/about/release-notes.html#0.41
If you need information as what to fix with this ask the helpers here,

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

jthomson3rd

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »

Woa Toolbar cop has quite the impressive layout, i clicked to delete the yahoo toolbar, and things started running smoother after gettiong rid of junk yesterday, but i think i'll download polonous's tool in a minute too

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 07:30:14 PM »

Woa Toolbar cop has quite the impressive layout, i clicked to delete the yahoo toolbar, and things started running smoother after gettiong rid of junk yesterday, but i think i'll download polonous's tool in a minute too

Yes it is a very handy utility as many toolbars (all of them) won't appear in add remove programs as they aren't a program in their own right, but are extensions of the browser. Many don't have an easy route to remove them either and this is where toolbar cop comes into its own.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jthomson3rd

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 09:37:42 PM »
Hi jthomson3rd,

You could also scan with this malware fixing tool - freefixer, the latest release can be downloaded here:
http://www.freefixer.com/about/release-notes.html#0.41
If you need information as what to fix with this ask the helpers here,

polonus

just ran the freeFIXER  tool, it took  long time to complete and it gives a fairly detailed results..
i included the txt from that scan. maybe someone could take a peek? thanks

jthomson3rd

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »
i am running a few of those files at virustotal.com before i remove them

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »
If multiple detections at VT before removing them send samples to avast to help improve detections.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body and undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.

Edit: Whilst I'm not too familiar with free-fixer either, the log looks good as whitelisted items shouldn't be an issue and I saw nothing obvious in the log.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:31:34 PM by DavidR »

jthomson3rd

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 11:37:32 PM »
a few files it pointed out like   C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL

i can't even find on my computer.  too bad free fixer doesn't alllow the cutn paste feature, but i suppose since i do have a log it doesn't matter..

jthomson3rd

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 01:30:21 AM »
If multiple detections at VT before removing them send samples to avast to help improve detections.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body and undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.

Edit: Whilst I'm not too familiar with free-fixer either, the log looks good as whitelisted items shouldn't be an issue and I saw nothing obvious in the log.

i only made a few fixes before stopping. before turning off computer  IE  at yahoo was having nonrresponsive episodes. i wonder if i made bad changes with freefixer...  I don't know or it might be normal computer behavior. because i thought it was running well and i didn't change  THAT MUCH, but i'll try using FIREFOX  instead

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »
1# If you are looking for a file called GOEC62~1.DLL you won't find it as the ~ is to shorten the file name to 8 characters, so just try a search for GOEC62 and see what it returns.

2# I don't see any indication in the log file to say it fixed anything, but I don't know if they put that in the log (as I said before I'm not too familiar with it), though I would have though it would.

jthomson3rd

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 02:58:32 AM »

Yes it is a very handy utility as many toolbars (all of them) won't appear in add remove programs as they aren't a program in their own right, but are extensions of the browser. Many don't have an easy route to remove them either and this is where toolbar cop comes into its own.

Things are better and i'm thankful but i have  four final questions since it still says 72 processes and occasionally has insufficient memory.
will it help to:
#1. uninstall toolbar cop  since i don't know how to use it

#2 delete a few registry startups

Registry Startups (13 whitelisted)
HKLM\..\Run, SSBkgdUpdate = "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
HKLM\..\Run, Reminder = %WINDIR%\Creator\Remind_XP.exe (file is missing)
HKLM\..\Run, Recguard = %WINDIR%\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE (file is missing)
HKLM\..\Run, readericon = C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\readericon45G.exe
HKLM\..\Run, QuickTime Task = "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
HKLM\..\Run, OpwareSE4 = "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe"
HKLM\..\Run, IntelAudioStudio = "C:\Program Files\Intel Audio Studio\IntelAudioStudio.exe" BOOT
HKLM\..\Run, IAAnotif = C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe
HKLM\..\Run, COMODO Internet Security = "C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cfp.exe" -h
HKLM\..\Run, CHotkey = zHotkey.exe
HKLM\..\Run, CCUTRAYICON = C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\CCU\CCU_TrayIcon.exe
HKLM\..\Run, CanonMyPrinter = C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
HKCU\..\Run, Yahoo! Pager = "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
HKCU\..\Run, Wise-FTP Scheduler = C:\Program Files\AceBIT\WISE-FTP\WF_Scheduler.exe
HKCU\..\Run, AdobeBridge =  (file is missing)
HKCU\..\Run, swg = C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe

#3 and delete a few processes?

Processes (51 whitelisted)
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\CCU\AlertService.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaantmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\readericon45G.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4.0\OpwareSE4.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel Matrix Storage Manager\Iaanotif.exe
C:\WINDOWS\zHotkey.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\New Boundary\PrismXL\PRISMXL.SYS
C:\Program Files\Linksys\WUSB54GSC\WLService.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel(R) Quick Resume Technology Drivers\Elservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\WUSB54GSC\WUSB54GSC.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel Media Server\Media Server\bin\ISSM.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel Media Server\Shells\MCLServiceATL.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel Media Server\Media Server\bin\mediaserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\IntelDH\Intel Media Server\Shells\Remote UI Service.exe
C:\Program Files\FreeFixer\freefixer.exe

#4  maybe i should delete services like intel alert service, intel media, intel matrix..
google says that, Remote UI Service, Intel(R) Remoting Servic,for example "Remote UI Service.exe is able to connect to Internet. Therefore the technical security rating is 43% dangerous, however also read the users reviews." so i gues it i good to remove things these services

Services (51 whitelisted)
AlertService, Intel(R) Alert Service, c:\program files\intel\inteldh\ccu\alertservice.exe

ELService, Intel(R) Quick Resume technology, c:\program files\intel\inteldh\intel(r) quick resume technology drivers\elservice.exe
IAANTMON, Intel(R) Matrix Storage Event Monitor, c:\program files\intel\intel matrix storage manager\iaantmon.exe
ISSM, Intel(R) Software Services Manager, c:\program files\intel\inteldh\intel media server\media server\bin\issm.exe
M1 Server, Intel(R) Viiv(TM) Media Server, c:\program files\intel\inteldh\intel media server\media server\bin\mediaserver.exe
MCLServiceATL, Intel(R) Application Tracker, c:\program files\intel\inteldh\intel media server\shells\mclserviceatl.exe
PrismXL, PrismXL, c:\program files\common files\new boundary\prismxl\prismxl.sys
Remote UI Service, Intel(R) Remoting Service, c:\program files\intel\inteldh\intel media server\shells\remote ui service.exe
WUSB54GSC, WUSB54GSC, c:\program files\linksys\wusb54gsc\wlservice.exe

google really is a great source,
so i wasn't asking you to do gogle searching for me, byut i don't want to make detremental changes to my computer,  and i think most of these changes won't screw with too much
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:15:30 AM by jthomson3rd »