Author Topic: Why did I have Outlook/Echange resident provider turned off?  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Snagglegrain

Hello

I am running avast! 4.8 Home Edition on two computers.  This will sound like a question only I can answer, but I think I need the forum's help with this.  The other day when checking the On-Access Scanner, I noticed that I had the Outlook/Exchange provider turned off on both of my computers.  Since I use Outlook Express as my email client, I was surprised that this provider was turned off, and I began trying to remember if there was some advice I was following or some reason why I had not turned this provider on?  Since the day I first started using avast! Home Edition over two years ago, I have had the Web, Standard and Network Shields turned on and set to high sensitivity.  Perhaps it was suggested to me that it is redundant to run those three Shields plus the OE Shield, so I disabled it?  I am usually very diligent about running security software at its highest and fullest capacity, so it baffles me why I had these OE Shields turned off.  FWIW, I have turned them back on on both computers.  Any ideas why I had them off?   ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Why did I have Outlook/Echange resident provider turned off?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »
MS Outlook uses the Outlook/Exchange plugin. The plugin is disabled if MS Outlook is not running.
Outlook Express is scanned by Internet Mail provider.
The best things in life are free.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:02:17 AM »
Right...I'll try and get it the right way round this time...:P

The outlook/express sheid is only for Microsoft Outlook, which I gather you don't use?
If you don't have it installed/don't use it you don't need it

The scanning of outlook express is taken care of by the Internet mail provider.

Maybe this is why it was turned off?

-Scott-

EDIT: Tech was faster... I just can't keep up ;)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:03:58 AM by spg SCOTT »

Offline Snagglegrain

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:27 AM »
Well now that makes perfect sense.  Thank you both for your responses.  So turning on the Outlook/Exchange provider when I don't use Outlook is just a waste of time and resources, right?  I will turn it off and feel secure that my Outlook Express email client is safely protected by the Internet Mail Shield.   :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:54:44 PM »
So turning on the Outlook/Exchange provider when I don't use Outlook is just a waste of time and resources, right?
No, not exactly. Don't worry, if Outlook is not running, the provider won't load, won't take time and resources. It's just there, inert. Let it be ;)
The best things in life are free.