Author Topic: Antivirus Software Confliction Question  (Read 6694 times)

BRANDONN2008

Antivirus Software Confliction Question
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:37:37 AM »
Hello. When my computer was ruined by a virus and I had it fixed, they installed avast! and Malwarebytes. I was wondering if there is any confliction with avast! and Malwarebytes. Thank you.

Conogo

Re: Antivirus Software Confliction Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:11:43 AM »
Hi Brandom, I use myself avast! Home and MBAM Free and they combined fine.  :)

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:16:44 AM »
Welcome BRANDONN2008

The people that fixed your sytem were very smart now you need to keep the system clean.

1. Keep the operating system up to date.
Go to Control Center then Security Center then set it to Automatic Updates (Recommended) or at least Notify me about updates but do not download nor install them.

2. Install Javacool's SpywareBlaster:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

* This excellent program blocks installation of many known malicious ActiveX objects. Run the program, download the latest updates, "Enable All Protection" and you're done. Although it won't protect you from every form of spyware known to man, it is a very potent extra layer of protection.
* Don't forget to check for updates every week or so.

3. Stay away from P2P programs.

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial82.html

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 01:52:50 AM »
Hello. When my computer was ruined by a virus and I had it fixed, they installed avast! and Malwarebytes. I was wondering if there is any confliction with avast! and Malwarebytes. Thank you.

No problems, all you need to look at is my signature under my posts to seee that ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »
Agree with all the above.

avast runs always. Resident antivirus.

Use MBAM when you want to run a scan. Just remember update MBAM before you scan so that you are always running the latest edition.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 04:40:12 AM »
This is somewhat off topic but I don't want to start a new thread for every question. I just installed SpywareBlaster and Firefox. Since I activated the protection from SpywareBlaster, my Firefox won't load pages, icons near things won't display, and when I close it to open it again, it says it's already running and I need to end the process or restart my computer. I tried ending the process but it won't end.

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 04:54:09 AM »
Haha! I went to Mozilla.com on IE and read an article on my problem. It says if you use ZoneAlarm, uninstall it and install another. If I have avast! I'm suppost to install another antivirus. Neither of these is going to happen. Some of you must have avast! and ZoneAlarm, and use FireFox, what else can I do?

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:54:35 AM »
I don't use ZoneAlarm nor Firefox and as my DSL modem has a built in firewall I do not use a software firewall. 

Watch the excellent video interview with Bruce Harrison who is a developer at Malwarebytes – the company who created Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware:
http://www.besttechie.net/2008/08/20/malwarebytes-developer-interview <== software firewall discussion starts 8 minutes into the video

Both videos are well worth watching.

norel

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:57:03 AM »
I've heard a lot of people complaining lately about Zone Alarm. I use Firefox with avast! and just today installed Malwarebytes. A lot of people here rave about it so I decided to try it out. I ran a scan this afternoon and everything worked great.

mevcit

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:43:19 AM »
When i used ZA Free and Avast together (this year, version 8 ), Avast's web shield and ZA conflicted several times (even though ZA Free has no privacy control feature). Opera and IE were freezing sometimes. And when i came across such cases, i couldn't end the processes and even my computer couldn't be restarted in normal ways lol. I also read somewhere that some other ppl were having the same problem. idk whether or not a new version of za has been released, but that's the situation i had.

Conogo

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 08:35:48 AM »
I used ZAF with avast! with no problem until FF3.5 release. ZAF has some conflict with FF3.5 (my case) and I replaced ZAF with PC Tools Firewall and since then my FF3.5 works well.  :P

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 08:50:45 AM »
Hey, I use Firefox now for the most part when it works. Should I install something else instead of SpywareBlaster since it only blocks cookies for Firefox?

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
Hey, I use Firefox now for the most part when it works. Should I install something else instead of SpywareBlaster since it only blocks cookies for Firefox?

IE8 works all the time.

Install a HOSTS file:
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Manage the HOSTS file with HostsMan and use its browser speedup proxy HostsServer:
http://www.abelhadigital.com <== I use 3.2.71 Beta7 with hpHosts and MVPS HOSTS file.