Author Topic: Weird problem...  (Read 5636 times)

estatik

Weird problem...
« on: June 10, 2003, 12:17:11 PM »
Hello to all,

Today, I was doing a full through scan on C: drive, when during the scan, I decided to open explorer and look through some folders.  While I was 'exploring' through some folders, I needed to uncheck 'hide protected operating system files' in folder options, which I did, and opened up some more folders(not files).  

The scan of C: drive finished and I clicked the folder selection button to do a normal scan on D: drive.  Now, in the 'Select the Areas' windows, everything except my desktop has disappeared ???!  

Thinking I may have caused a corruption of a file(s) when I had done my 'exploring' of my system, I uninstalled avast and removed all associated files/registry entries.  

Did a install from your download page, and went through the procedure of updating, etc. but to no avail, the 'Select the Areas' windows still shows only my desktop.

Now, pondering and thumping my head on the keyboard, I just decided to do a reformat and clean install of the O/S(WinMe).  

Still only the desktop is showing.

I am clueless :-\

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BTW in using avast 4 (home).

¤estatik¤  

Culpeper

Re:Weird problem...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 04:52:26 PM »
 :o

Doesn't the OS start in a safe mode or come with a boot disk or CD?

estatik

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 08:51:10 PM »
I should clarify that this weird problem exists in the 'folder selection' window of avast's simple interface.  

I guess my explanation was a bit confusing ;D.  

I have uninstalled/installed avast twice now, yet, it still shows only the desktop in the  'Select the Areas' window of avast's simple interface.

Need some technical help to get the directory back into the 'folders selection' window!

¤estatik¤

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2003, 09:07:54 AM »
Wait, are you saying that the area selection dialog (that normally shows the cool tree of disks, folders etc) now only contains the Desktop?

Silly question: isn't the Desktop clickable? (isn't the tree root only collapsed so that you don't see its children?)

What about other programs that have a folder selection window - do these work as expected???

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

estatik

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2003, 09:41:32 AM »
Wait, are you saying that the area selection dialog (that normally shows the cool tree of disks, folders etc) now only contains the Desktop?

Hard to believe and sad to say, yes, just only the desktop :'(.

Silly question: isn't the Desktop clickable? (isn't the tree root only collapsed so that you don't see its children?)

At first I had thought that also, but unfortunately, there is no expanding + button.

What about other programs that have a folder selection window - do these work as expected???

That's the weird part of this, all my programs that do have a expandable folder selection window are normal.  I did go to GFI's trojan scan site and to my dismay, NOTHING shows in that scanning window ???.

I have a pretty good feeling that this might be a registry problem(I have to stop messing with regcleaner and regedit! LOL).  I guess the only thing I will try now is format again and, find and reinstall a recovery backup of my O/S that I have and try to restore a good registry backup.  

Thanks for the replys.  I will keep you updated. ::crossing fingers and toes::

¤estatik¤
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 09:44:37 AM by estatik »

estatik

Re:Weird problem...[Resolved]
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2003, 11:00:41 PM »
Well, I've pinpointed the problem  :D.  I formatted and installed a recovery backup of my O/S and this time, I did not mess with the registry via regedit nor regcleaner.  

Now I'm happy to say that this weird problem of everything disappearing in the folder selection window is resolved.  Thank God for backups!  

Must have been a too through cleaning of the registry on my part.  But, hey, I'm still learning from my errors and will try to resist the temptation to do further damage.  

A great prog you dedicated folks at Alwil are sharing with the world!  Keep up the good work!

¤estatik¤