Author Topic: Subject line contains [avast! - INFECTED]  (Read 5075 times)

Leona

Subject line contains [avast! - INFECTED]
« on: May 23, 2004, 08:02:24 AM »
Is it possible to turn off for the email scanning only the 'Alert' window that pops up and have it automatically select OK?

Here's why I would like to be able to do that.

I have a DSL service and I use two utilities before I download emails with Outlook Express.

First, I use 'K9' http://keir.net/k9.html
"K9 is an email filtering application that works in conjunction with your regular POP3 email program and automatically classifies incoming emails as spam (junk email) or non-spam without the need for maintaining dozens of rules or constant updates to be downloaded. It uses intelligent statistical analysis that can result in extremely high accuracy over time".

K9 adds either [Spam]or[Spam][DNSBL]to the subject line of junk mail.

Second, I use 'PopTray' version 3.1 (beta 5) http://www.poptray.org/
PopTray is a POP3 mail checker with many great features.  Within PopTray I have a few rules, and one is to 'Delete from Server' mail that contains [Spam] in the subject line, which takes care of over 99% of all Spam. All this is done automatically when PopTray checks my mail server every 20 minutes.

Since installing Avast and seeing it works with PopTray and adds [avast! - INFECTED] to the subject line of emails which have a virus while PopTray checks the server for mail, it would be great not to have to have to respond to the Avast pop up window that warns of a virus in email and click the OK button.  I would like to just make a rule to 'Delete from Server' if subject line contains [avast! - INFECTED] . Can it be done?

Leona

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Subject line contains [avast! - INFECTED]
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 09:12:52 AM »
Nope,this wouldn't work since mail needs to get through avast!'s Mail Proxy in order to be scanned. And when this is done,your mail is already on your machine,so you cannot use delete from server anymore since the mail is not there but on your machine.

The only thing you can use is to add "virus spam" specific text strings into your custom made filters to delete such mails directly from server.
For example you get a Beagle-B worm in 3 mails and you check all of them whats common for these messages (text) than add this text that is in all of three and make it to be deleted directly from server. This is my MHM - Manual Heuristic Method ;)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 04:39:17 PM »
I would like to just make a rule to 'Delete from Server' if subject line contains [avast! - INFECTED] . Can it be done?
Leona

Maybe some spam killers could do it before downloading the email. But, at that time, your messages won't be scanned and that words won't appear in the subject field.

Spamihilator could delete the emails with specific words in the subject field.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 09:27:36 AM »
You can suppress the virus warning by checking the option 'Silent Mode' in the On-Access Scanner dialog->Internet Mail->Customize->Advanced.

Leona

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 01:30:12 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, I found out how to turn it off after I made this post.

For your information Avast does scan all emails when checking mail on the server when using 'PopTray', and it adds [avast! - INFECTED] to the subject line.

So then with a rule made in Outlook Express to 'Delete from Server' mail that has [avast! - INFECTED] in the subject line works.  I have tested it.  I'm in the process of puting the information on my web site of settings for those who may want to see how it works, mostly screen shots with explanations how to set Avast, K9, PopTray, and Outlook Express so you will not be downloading Spam and Viruses, but having them deleted from the server automatically when you actually receive your email.

If you want me to post the URL when I'm done I will.

Thanks again for your replies!

Leona

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 03:21:45 PM »
Does anyone have any remarks concerning this test.

See http://www.heffy.com/test-virus.htm

The 10 that were not detected were marked:

avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0421-3, 05/22/2004
Tested on: 5/24/2004 6:39:56 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

This is seen when looking at the 'Preview' in PopTray.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 03:43:50 PM by Leona »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 06:50:48 PM »
testvirus.org again... well, yeah.
Try doing a seach for this keyword on the forum -- you'll find what we think about it.

IMHO the only flaw is failure in test #14 but this will be solved in one of the upcoming updates...

Too bad the publisher of these tests doesn't really explain some of the tests to the users.

And some of the tests (e.g. 16) is completely wrong, due to the new definition of the Eicar test file (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=4666 for a discussion).

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.