Author Topic: Updates: Can they be rescheduled?  (Read 2171 times)

Gulfvet91

Updates: Can they be rescheduled?
« on: July 10, 2009, 11:24:42 PM »
Since I installed the free version of Avast (which I love by the way) I've noticed it has a nasty habit of updating the virus scanner in the middle of my work day (around 4:30 PM Eastern).  It really slows down my computer until it finishes updating.  Is there any way I could re-schedule this to happen while I'm asleep instead of when I need to get work done?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Updates: Can they be rescheduled?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 02:00:54 AM »
The update schedule is like this, when you first connect to the internet avast will check for updates and if you remain on-line it will check after four hours and again fours after that. So there is no fixed schedule so it is a co-incidence if it falls within your work day (around 4:30 PM Eastern).

Which brings us on to the fact if you are using your computer for work you should be using the Pro version and not the free Home version which is for Home and Non-Commercial use and both must apply. The Pro version has push updates which may be more suited to how you work.

However, on XP, Vista, NT bases OSes the auto updates are CPU restricted so that they 'don't' slow your computer and the updates that are likely to happen around once a dat are the VPS (virus signature) Updates and these are measured in KBs rather than MBs as the updates are incremental.

So I'm not really sure what is going on on your system as I see no slowdown on the VPS Update when set to auto.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Updates: Can they be rescheduled?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 02:25:55 PM »
Let it update automatically and just set the time period (in minutes) to a longer period.
It will check after the logon and then only after the period you've set.
You can also configure the time after logon to perform the update. Click settings in my signature.
The best things in life are free.