Author Topic: Avast Home is "turned off."  (Read 4721 times)

tcv

Avast Home is "turned off."
« on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
Hello,

This is a brand new installation of XP Pro. No other AV software.

The date and time is correct, including daylight savings time.

All Windows updates are applied.

I've run the command to update the WBEM repository.

Any other things I can try?

Cheers,

Mike...

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast Home is "turned off."
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:45:47 PM »
Perhaps you could try turning it on. You seem capable enough.

You really need to provide more details for such an incomparable problem.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

tcv

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 10:47:49 PM »
Perhaps you could try turning it on. You seem capable enough.

You really need to provide more details for such an incomparable problem.

I apologize if my message seemed abrupt. It was not intended.

Granted, I don't have a heck of a lot of experience with Avast, but according to the context menu, it reports that 3 out of 3 providers are active. I think it's really active, but Security Center doesn't see it that way.

What other details would you like? I am happy to provide.

Cheers,

m

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:21:30 PM »
Whilst you have tried the command to update the WBEM repository, how did you go about it ?

Did you do it this way:
* Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop wscsvc
net stop winmgmt

* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt
net start wscsvc

EXIT
Reboot

- Also see a topic created by Tech on this, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.0.
- Also this, check system variables - someone had this problem and found why, windows didn't recognized avast as my AV. It turned out that my Path environment variable had been messed up and it missed the "C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;" part.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tcv

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:17 PM »
I will try out the suggestions! Thanks!!

Here's the command I ran for WBEM. I can't recall where I found it in the forum, but it was here!  ;D

rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

tcv

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 11:50:39 PM »
Huh. That's interesting.

Now Service Center reports:

"Windows found multiple antivirus programs on this computer, but they all report that they might be out of date or turned off."

I am remembering a detail that I neglected to offer in my original message. I first installed Avast Home. When I launched it that very first time, I thought I had installed the _wrong_ version of Avast, mistaking it for a trial of the Professional version. I uninstalled Avast, redownloaded the setup from download.com and reinstalled. I did get this particular error noted above at that time. I performed the command listed in my last message at that point and received the "turned off" message.

Sorry I've really screwed you guys on not providing you with full information.

m

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 12:20:40 AM »
Well I doubt that it is talking about different versions of avast, they are essentially the same and if you installed in the default location then there would only be one occurrence of avast. So I think it may be on about a previous AV.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

I would suggest a clean reinstall of avast (Home which I think is what you want):
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do).

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

This should ensure that you only have one version, as for the out of date bit, that is entirely possible as the VPS version may not be the latest when obtained from download.com, hence the suggestion to get the full version direct from avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tcv

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 12:40:38 AM »
No, I've not put any other AV on this machine. It was a clean XP install. The first and only install I did was Avast which I uninstalled through Add/Remove. (Recall that I thought I downloaded a trial of Pro when I really wanted Home.)

I will perform those steps!

Thank you! I will do it and report back!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:43:20 AM by tcv »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 01:25:52 AM »
Hi tcv.

Appears problem was not as incomparable as I thought. Good luck with troubleshooting.
avast is good choice. Hope all works out.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 01:41:47 AM »
No, I've not put any other AV on this machine. It was a clean XP install.
<snip>

I will perform those steps!

Thank you! I will do it and report back!!

No problem, glad I could help.

Hopefully that will square it away.

Welcome to the forums.

tcv

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:10:41 PM »
Looks like we're good to go! The uninstall utility and the install from the Avast site worked great!!!

Thanks everyone!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 05:35:03 PM »
You're welcome, thanks for the update.