Author Topic: Memory upgrade program automatically too, hoping to optimize! Management Come!  (Read 8540 times)

Offline happylty

Automatically upgrade the memory too much occupied, I hope the next version of optimization!
General than the main memory footprint is also great!
My home computer memory only 512M memory, the computer is running very slow, I hope as soon as possible to optimize! Support avast! ! ! !
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:03:17 PM by happylty »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You are in charge of optimisation, if you only have 512MB of RAM then you need to optimize what you run on startup and leave running in the background.

You don't say what your OS is which is crucial, XP has a recommended minimum of 256MB just to run it, leaving 256 for all the rest, your browser, email client, firewall and security applications. This cripples your system performance as the RAM is constantly being swapped out to the virtual memory (pagefile.sys) on your hard disk. The hard disk then is a bottle neck as it is much slower than working completely in RAM.

If you have Vista you are lucky if it will run at all on 512MB of RAM.

So essentially you should only have system and essential applications run on boot. avast by comparison to many other AVs is relatively light on resources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline happylty

You are in charge of optimisation, if you only have 512MB of RAM then you need to optimize what you run on startup and leave running in the background.

You don't say what your OS is which is crucial, XP has a recommended minimum of 256MB just to run it, leaving 256 for all the rest, your browser, email client, firewall and security applications. This cripples your system performance as the RAM is constantly being swapped out to the virtual memory (pagefile.sys) on your hard disk. The hard disk then is a bottle neck as it is much slower than working completely in RAM.

If you have Vista you are lucky if it will run at all on 512MB of RAM.

So essentially you should only have system and essential applications run on boot. avast by comparison to many other AVs is relatively light on resources.

Germany seems little red umbrella and use of resources than avast killing rate is higher, and avast smaller than manslaughter, but it will give my system the local connection is very slow to start, so we do not, Besides, there is no Chinese version.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Germany seems little red umbrella and use of resources than avast killing rate is higher, and avast smaller than manslaughter

The little red umbrella is Avira.

Besides, there is no Chinese version.

So, I see, it was the reason why you are using avast.

Avast is not a heavy antivirus, it can even run smoothly on a 256 MB memory of an old XP PC.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
But why does ashserv.exe use over 300mb of memory?I don't think VRDB can cause that high memory usage.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
But why does ashserv.exe use over 300mb of memory?I don't think VRDB can cause that high memory usage.
ashServ.exe is the process for: the resident, the on-demand scannings and the VRDB generation.
Are you sure the last two aren't being in progress?
The best things in life are free.

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
ashServ.exe is the process for: the resident, the on-demand scannings and the VRDB generation.
You have to ask happylty as he/she is having the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Sorry mathboyx215. I've quoted your post when in fact I was talking to happylty.
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
 sorry. wrong post.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:18:55 PM by .: L' arc :. »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline happylty

You have to ask happylty as he/she is having the problem.
In advance, I am a man!
VRDB really can achieve more than 300 megabytes (300M), so my PC is running very slow!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
So set the VRDB to generate when a) the system is idle or b) when the screen saver is running.

With your lack of resources I wouldn't run multiple applications when trying to work on your computer. You could simply disable the VRDB as from avast version 5 it won't be used as it is old technology which isn't keeping pace with malware developments making it much harder to physically repair a file.

The VRDB only runs every three weeks so unless it is actually running (the avast 'i' icon is rotating) then it isn't contributing to the RAM load.

You still haven't said what your Operating System is ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
@davidr he is using windows xp

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks, where did you dig that up ;D

That certainly isn't leaving a lot left when you take out the 256MB used for the OS for other applications.

Offline happylty

Thanks, where did you dig that up ;D

That certainly isn't leaving a lot left when you take out the 256MB used for the OS for other applications.

Please accept my proposal, the next version of avast optimize memory usage!

Hard_ROCKER

It already is very much optimized. Looking at the resource usage right now on win 7 running the latest avast!, avast's memory usage is around 30-35 MB of ram. I'd say that is very low.