Author Topic: Avast vs AVG  (Read 17405 times)

roro

Avast vs AVG
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:25:54 PM »
I am an Avast user and will not change, but I have a friend who is using AVG instead because every time they start up their computer Avast updates its virus definitions. They are on dial up so it takes a little while.  I am not affected since I am using broadband, and have one computer connected 24/7.  I did notice that my laptops update when I turn them on. I think the fact that Avast automatically updates virus definitions is a good thing.  In fact, AVG not updating as often would worry me.
I would like to tell my friends to change to Avast, but AVG is good also, isn't it.
How do others feels about this?

RoRo

Sesame

Re: Avast vs AVG
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 12:56:27 PM »
Why not let them know how to tweak the setting?  The below is instructions for optimized settings for dial-up connections.

To tweak autoupdates, right click on the Avast icon on the taskbar and select Program Settings>Update (Basic).  There you can select Manual for updates for Virus database and Program respectively.

Also, here is an instruction to prevent Avast! from pinging on dial-up connections.
3) Optimization for dial-up connections
If you use dial-up connection only, there´s another way to detect if the computer is connected to the Internet or not. avast! can elicit the connection status from the modem status - so it will NOT ping our servers every 40 seconds. To set avast! this way, follow these steps:
1.In Notepad, open the file AVAST4.INI
(C:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\DATA)
2.Find section [InetWD]. If this section doesn´t exist, create it.
3.Into this section insert this row:
UseRAS=1
4.Save the file and restart your computer.
NOTE: Your avast! build must be 4.0.172 or higher!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:00:22 PM »
He can set avast to dial-up, delay the automatic period for updating or even set the update to manual (not recommended).
avast updates are incremental and should bring a problem even for dial-up users.
The best things in life are free.

Sesame

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 02:12:42 PM »
He can set avast to dial-up, delay the automatic period for updating
@roro  Just in case, Tech's Instruction here.
or even set the update to manual (not recommended).
avast updates are incremental and should bring a problem even for dial-up users.
?  I wonder if I understood you correctly.  I thought setting it to manual only meant that preventing Avast from updating automatically.  In fact, although I set it automatic, I update it manually from time to time.

roro

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »
Thanks for all the information.  I have sent it on to my friend.  I don't know if it will change her mind or not, but she is interested in learning new things, so I have my fingers crossed.

RoRo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 02:18:53 PM »
?  I wonder if I understood you correctly.  I thought setting it to manual only meant that preventing Avast from updating automatically.  
Yes. Manual prevent automatic updates.
Roro, use a higher RASWaitSeconds period is another solution.

Sesame

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:24:25 PM »
?  I wonder if I understood you correctly.  I thought setting it to manual only meant that preventing Avast from updating automatically.  
Yes. Manual prevent automatic updates.
And you wrote it was not recommended.  Care to explain why?  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 02:34:37 PM »
Manual update is not recommended. Better is let it set to automatic.
You can forget to update...

Sesame

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 02:49:11 PM »
Manual update is not recommended. Better is let it set to automatic.
You can forget to update...
Thanx for the explanation.  Then, you just meant a possibility of human error.  I wondered if I made a mistake.

@roro  You are welcome.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:16:21 PM »
Then, you just meant a possibility of human error.
Yes ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 04:02:45 PM »
@ roro
I have no problem and I'm on dial-up too.

Because dial-up differs from broadband, in that every time you re-connect avast would check for updates. Now if you are only going on-line to do something quick, collect email, etc. you might want to be able to do this and get off-line without a check taking place.

So I too delay my update check by 10 minutes, which allows for a quick jump on-line and off again without the update check being carried out. This suits me very well and may do so for your friend.

You need to edit (using notepad) the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line (depending on your connection type enter one or other of the Bold lines below):
Dial-up connections, add this line: RASWaitSeconds=600 and UseRAS=1 if not present (or edit UseRAS=0 to UseRAS=1)

[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
RASWaitSeconds=600
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to ten minutes, you could try that and adjust lower if required, 300, 240, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

roro

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »
Thanks DavidR.  That is a very clear explanation.  I checked it on my machine, but had to make sure that in  Windows Explorer (Tools/Folder Options/  in the view tab)  Hide Extensions for known file types was not checked, so I could see the extension for the avast4.ini file.
I will send your info on to my friend.

RoRo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:06:05 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sesame

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07:18 AM »
Roro, I should have been more informative.  I expected you to know how to edit the ini file after nearly 300 posts.  Likewise, I tend to forget DavidR is on dial-up, considering the number of his posts.  ;)

I think DavidR's explanation is enough but just in case...
"UseRAS=1" line prevents Avast! from pinging while "RASWaitSeconds=600" line make Avast! wait its auto-update for 10 minutes (600, means, 60*10 seconds).  So as for the latter command, changing the number from 600 to 1800 will let it wait for 30 minutes while changing it to 300 will let it wait for 5 minutes, for example.

roro

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 06:51:00 AM »
Rumpel,
I do understand editing the .ini file, but I do things like that so seldom, that I tend to forget the process.  Of course, I had reformatted the CPU that I was using recently and didn't have the .ini designation showing on the file, so had to change the folder options.  I mentioned it because I thought it might help someone else who didn't have the .ini showing.
Thanks for your explanation too.
RoRo