Author Topic: port 80 / avast? problem after incorrect power down  (Read 12499 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: port 80 / avast? problem after incorrect power down
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »
I don't see anything zone alarm related but that registry key is most certainly related to ZA, why it is even there is beyond me.

I also don't really know what the start values are, just guessing 4 is disabled as if ZA didn't exist then I don't know if the OS would be clever enough to disable it. Then when MBAM does its scan seeing it disabled perhaps it believes that to be a malicious act and flags it. Though there is nothing about that in the log, just your comment about it.

I don't generally recommend poking around in the registry as it can seriously spoil your whole day if you modify or delete anything important.

Why did you mention the changing of this value ?
e.g. does it throw up and error and if so what is the error and what application alerts you (registry protection, etc.).

Does it in anyway impede your use of the computer ?

####
1. You might want to check out this info and decide if you need this service:
-- How To Uninstall or Remove Bonjour mDNSResponder.exe
- This is considered a non-essential, not critical component as related to ITunes. - See http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/mdnsresponder.
How To Uninstall or Remove Bonjour mDNSResponder.exe
Also see www.serophos.net/au-revoir-bonjour for a tool to automate this process so you don't have to manually remove as in the above link.

2. Ensure you have the latest version of JRE (JAVA Runtime Environment) because older versions can be vulnerable to malware and yours is way out of date. First remove All Older Versions From Add/Remove Programs.

Then get the latest update from here http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Or JRE version 6 update 14 http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sun_Java_Runtime_Environment_d4648.html

3. I would also suggest a visit to this site, which scans your system for out of date programs that have patches to close vulnerabilities, http://secunia.com/software_inspector/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yahsas

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 04:19:59 AM »
point taken about fiddling w registy - to be honest, I was just poking around in the dark (as mentioned a while back, found this http://beer234.blogspot.com/2008/10/port-80-blocked-windows-xp.html and my value in 'start' was 4 and after setting to 3, everything worked...for about 3 power cycles...and then the port 80 problem came back and the value was 4 again; was probably on the wrong track)

thanks, will do your suggestions

yahsas

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 12:10:14 PM »
have done those things, thanks - no change with my port 80 / 110 problem but good to get a few other things cleaned up / up-to-date at least

guess this is the end of the road? :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
It wasn't so much a criticism of your looking in the registry, but me not wanting you to delete this particular key as effectively it should be redundant, if you don't have ZA installed.

Then again why would it make any difference what the value was if it was effectively redundant and why would the value get changed. So I think you can see with these type of things going on deletion of the key could have other implications, I hate mysteries.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yahsas

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 02:59:27 AM »
yeah me too...

(btw, I ran another "chkdsk /f /r" yesterday just in case but volume reported clean and no change with port 80 etc)

looks like it will only be fixed if I formatted and started again :-\ may do this eventually but will post again if anything miraculously changes in the meantime

thanks for your help anyway

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 03:18:12 AM »
Sorry I wasn't able to help further, this one really is beyond anything I have seen in the forums.

blue2

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 04:23:05 AM »
For whatever it is worth, you might try the steps listed by Microsoft regarding the specific Outlook error message you received: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

It could be corrupted user profile/mail on server following bad shutdown that is impeding subsequent connection.

"These error messages may occur if Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express cannot establish a connection with your e-mail server. These error messages are frequently caused by one of the following:

* You are not connected to the Internet or a network, or your mail server is temporarily unavailable.
    * Your account settings are incorrect.
    * Your user profile in Outlook is damaged.
    * An e-mail item on your POP3 server is damaged.
    * The configuration of your AV software is incorrect.
    * Outlook Express was removed from the computer or the installation is damaged.
    * The configuration of your personal firewall software is incorrect."

yahsas

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 02:14:12 PM »
thanks DavidR - wish I wasn't as unique though :(

thanks blue2 - will try some of those for OE

cheers