Author Topic: Sofware after instaling XP Pro SP3*  (Read 14946 times)

Offline Avast Eagle

Sofware after instaling XP Pro SP3*
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »
I just formated my laptop (AMD Dual 64x2, 1.6Ghz/ Nvidea GeForce 6 6100 256vram shared/ 1gb memory ram)

I would like to know the important software i should check after doing this,
dont even know if this comes with Java and all its important updates,
also want your opinion on the esential software that arent heavy
and most light as possible like a good firewall along with avast that isnt heavy.

All recomendations are apreciated, thanks in advance ^^
(i know few, just want to make sure im not missing anything after hearing some opinions from dear avast team)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 01:16:46 PM by Otaku Ichise »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Sofware recommended after instaling XP Pro SP3 June 2009*
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:36:55 PM »
1. avast
2. firewall (Online Armour, PCTools, Outpost Firewall Free).
3. MBAM for on-demand scanning only.
4. SpywareBlaster won't take resources.
5. a good browser (like FF with NoScript).

The best things in life are free.

Offline Avast Eagle

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, i will add the few rest that i decided to use too:

6. SuperAntiSpyware
7. Advanced SystemCare (quite useful on optimizing system at 1st configuration of windows)

Mr.Agent

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:09:23 PM »
I still got only IE8 with Google Toolbar-Safari 4-Avast!-Malwarebytes-Windows Defender-Windows Vista Firewall-UAC-Windows Update Automatic and all run fine here without lag or bug. I also clean recently manually and with my clean up of disk with Vista. Also there no junk files. And i got all i need so im happy :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »
6. SuperAntiSpyware
Ok. But will you use the free version? If so, I think MBAM will do the job.

7. Advanced SystemCare (quite useful on optimizing system at 1st configuration of windows)
I used to use and recommend it. I don't do anymore. I hate freewares that become sharewares.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »
Like i have for me is enought and Tracking Cookies arent dangerous. If its was really i think all would have a Tracking Cookies Scanner :) But its not dangerous for now a day. Just dont worry. I got all i need me and i used it for many years and no problem at all. If you think that your start is slow you can alway go to Run and type MSConfig and go to Startup and clean up what you didnt need in Start :)

mevcit

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:22:50 PM »
I used to use and recommend it. I don't do anymore. I hate freewares that become sharewares.
If you insert a valid license key, it will turn into the pro version, just like the case in avast home. Soo??

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 12:48:41 AM »
If you insert a valid license key, it will turn into the pro version, just like the case in avast home. Soo??
Advanced SystemCare was called before Advanced Windows Care and it was a fully freeeware. All features are present in a free program.
Then a lot of them became only part of a shareware program only.
This thing Alwil team never did. And I hope they never will.

mevcit

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 12:35:44 PM »
Advanced SystemCare was called before Advanced Windows Care and it was a fully freeeware. All features are present in a free program.
Then a lot of them became only part of a shareware program only.
This thing Alwil team never did. And I hope they never will.
I hope the same thing as well. (unless that ex-CEO of Symantec changes some policy stuff ;D)

And yes, the deep registry cleaning feature and some defragment feature are restricted. The useless aoutomated-care function is already unavailable in the free version. The deep registry cleaning feature may cause some stability problems or even worse. And the defragment tool is useless as well, the free smart defrag tool is better. So the free version is pretty enough i think. ;D And of course they should eat some money by their pro version by restricting some useless (maybe harmful) functions. :P

Btw, on Raymond's blog there is a license key which was for 6 months, now it has expired. But if you insert that license info into ASC just when internet connection is off, you won't be notified that the license isn't valid because the activation process will be done without connecting to Iobit servers. So you can use it without time limitation. ;D I know some of you guys may say that it is not ethical, however, i just wanted to inform you. ;D
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/12/08/free-iobit-advanced-systemcare-pro-v3-license-key-codes-exclusive-for-raymondcc-readers/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 12:43:42 PM by mevcit »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »
You might want to consider adding to Tech's list:
Secunia PSI, (to monitor software - including Java - is correctly patched/updated)
Revo uninstaller, (that sometimes does a much better job at finding orphaned remnants of unwanted programs than the programs own uninstaller does)

I still got only IE8 with Google Toolbar-Safari 4-Avast!-Malwarebytes-Windows Defender-Windows Vista Firewall-UAC-Windows Update
The user is asking concerning XP, not Vista. There is no UAC; the firewalls are quite different.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:42:24 PM by Tarq57 »
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
I hope the same thing as well. (unless that ex-CEO of Symantec changes some policy stuff ;D)
Please... please... He must have enough competence to know here we are NOT Symantec.

And of course they should eat some money by their pro version by restricting some useless (maybe harmful) functions. :P
They could do what they want. But what I hate is that when features start to be free and then migrate to the Pro. There are a lot of applications that did this (bad) policy: ZoneAlarm, WinSnap, Advanced SystemCare...

mevcit

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
Sorry for extending the subject on ASC, but i just want to state a few things more. Advanced Windows/System Care has changed dramatically with the version 3. The defrag tool was unavailable in version 2 (so was the enhanced defrag feature). And the deep registry cleaning function wasn't available as well, there was just a basic registry tool in both the pro and free versions. So these two features have started to be paid functions. We can say the same thing for some system tools which came with v3. But on the other side, they changed their policy that the free version should be fully functional except the automated care function. You may be right on this aspect. (i don't know about the other examples you stated, but as an another example i can say that AVG has dropped its antirootkit capability which was avaliable in previous free versions).

By the way, for the one who opened this topic, i suggest him/her use KeyScrambler Free because it's really useful for online shopping.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 02:40:59 PM by mevcit »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »
There was just a basic registry tool in both the pro and free versions.
Well, I used that tool and it was a good one. Now you don't have the feature available anymore.
For me, a freeware that become a shareware.

So these two features have started to be paid functions.
I don't think so.

We can say the same thing for some system tools which came with v3. But on the other side, they changed their policy that the free version should be fully functional except the automated care function.
Exactly. We had the features for free, just only manual. Now we don't have the features for free.

You may be right on this aspect. (i don't know about the other examples you stated, but as an another example i can say that AVG has dropped its antirootkit capability which was avaliable in previous free versions).
Another negative point to AVG. They give for free, then they remove :P

Offline Avast Eagle

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 03:34:19 PM »
lol is it worthy to get Advanced System care Pro when Free version does everything already?

Deep scan registry doesnt seem too good to use that always.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »
lol is it worthy to get Advanced System care Pro when Free version does everything already?

Deep scan registry doesnt seem too good to use that always.

Deep registry scan caused me troubles. It is better not to mess up with registry.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1