Author Topic: Sofware after instaling XP Pro SP3*  (Read 14950 times)

Hard_ROCKER

Re: Sofware recommended after instaling XP Pro SP3 June 2009*
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »
The weird thing with ASC for me is that the bloody thing runs on it's own and "fixes" your pc the first time you start the program, ok i would understand if it would only scan but to go fixing up on it's own that is a bad policy IMHO. The registry cleaner is way too aggressive, i wouldn't use it. The shortcut cleaner is rubbish, doesn't work properly on 64 bit systems. The descriptions of the tweaks it uses are very very poor(and the free version doesn't have all of them btw). For me this program is a no go. Used to use it but i got fed up with all the bugs and the feature limitations of the free version. Infact if i look back at my experience with this company, i've always had problems with bugs in their products. There are better programs out there if you ask me. TuneUp probably being the best and safest one to use. The only tweaking program i would dare to recommend to a n00b.

mevcit

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 11:04:52 PM »
The weird thing with ASC for me is that the bloody thing runs on it's own and "fixes" your pc the first time you start the program, ok i would understand if it would only scan but to go fixing up on it's own that is a bad policy IMHO.
Just press "Stop" button then.

The registry cleaner is way too aggressive, i wouldn't use it.
You can disable the deep registry scan function. On my systems the deep scan hasn't done any bad things though. But i agree that it is aggressive (this may be a good feature for ppl who wants such a feature). And disabling that function may be a good choice for those who complain about it. TuneUp would do kinda the same thing with ASC (without the deep scan) on registry fixing. But when it comes to comparing these two programs, TuneUp registry cleaner is way weaker than the one of ASC (when the deep scan is on). And if you want you can make ASC safer depending on your choice. But TuneUp doesn't have such an option, it is just weak (imo).

The descriptions of the tweaks it uses are very very poor(and the free version doesn't have all of them btw).
I don't think we need a long description about the modules. It does just what the name of that module says. The program isn't installed on my system now, but there must be a help part in the program. You can take a look at there.

Used to use it but i got fed up with all the bugs and the feature limitations of the free version.
TuneUp doesn't have even a free version. lol And the free version of ASC would do what you want (in a safe way) because the deep registry scan feature comes disabled and you aren't used to play with settings i think. ::)

Infact if i look back at my experience with this company, i've always had problems with bugs in their products. There are better programs out there if you ask me. TuneUp probably being the best and safest one to use.
Go TuneUp!!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 11:12:48 PM by mevcit »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 02:00:25 AM »
Just press "Stop" button then.
I was talking about the default behavior of the program running before the user has set it up. Considering it cleans the registry, changes windows settings and deletes files that is not reasonable to me. And i am not alone. A better way would be to just do an initial scan and let the user review and then "fix" the items it finds.

You can disable the deep registry scan function. On my systems the deep scan hasn't done any bad things though. But i agree that it is aggressive (this may be a good feature for ppl who wants such a feature). And disabling that function may be a good choice for those who complain about it. TuneUp would do kinda the same thing with ASC (without the deep scan) on registry fixing. But when it comes to comparing these two programs, TuneUp registry cleaner is way weaker than the one of ASC (when the deep scan is on). And if you want you can make ASC safer depending on your choice. But TuneUp doesn't have such an option, it is just weak (imo).
I am not obsessed with cleaning the registry you know, it's usually a dangerous and an unnecessary thing to do. I wasn't even talking about the deep registry scan, i always used the free version and i never used the deep scan. It's the normal and regular one that is already too aggressive. I usually don't use registry cleaners and when i do i review each registry item they find before cleaning because i don't trust them in the slightest. There were quite a few totally legit registry keys i've had to put on the ignore list with ASC. But then no registry cleaner is totally safe not even CCleaner or TuneUp. Best to avoid them unless you are an advanced user and know what you are doing. I wouldn't fit you into this category since your logic(it finds more so it must be better) proves you are clueless when it comes to the windows registry and cleaners.

I don't think we need a long description about the modules. It does just what the name of that module says. The program isn't installed on my system now, but there must be a help part in the program. You can take a look at there.
I was talking about the system optimization category and the tweaks it applies to your system. There are absolutely no descriptions available on the tweaks. Nothing in the help files either.

TuneUp doesn't have even a free version. lol And the free version of ASC would do what you want (in a safe way) because the deep registry scan feature comes disabled and you aren't used to play with settings i think. Roll Eyes
I said the program is buggy as i've come to expect from IOBit(this is the main reason i dumped it) and i don't like them pulling features out of the free version like my buddy Tech explained to you. And don't flame bait please cause i won't go into a TuneUp vs IOBit flame war with you. I use neither of these two programs on my system as i don't have a need for them.

Infact if i look back at my experience with this company, i've always had problems with bugs in their products. There are better programs out there if you ask me. TuneUp probably being the best and safest one to use.
Go TuneUp!!
What is your problem honestly ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 02:04:16 AM by darth_mikey »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 02:23:59 AM »
But then no registry cleaner is totally safe not even CCleaner or TuneUp.
I never had problems with CCleaner. It's not a deep cleaner.

I said the program is buggy as i've come to expect from IOBit(this is the main reason i dumped it) and i don't like them pulling features out of the free version like my buddy Tech explained to you.
Well, I've used it until it became a shareware. I'm using iobit defrag (until it became a shareware...).
The best things in life are free.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 02:43:22 AM »
The authors of CCleaner have made it as safe as possible as they obviously understand that cleaning the registry can cause more harm than good. You gain nothing by cleaning the registry, it only makes sense to clean it if there are conflicting registry keys leftover by some previous program that now conflict with other programs, good example are some av's leaving all kind of mess behind in the registry(and then poor Tech and David have to link people to symantec uninstaller all day long so their avast! installs start working again).  ;D Using Revo uninstaller is a good way to prevent any programs leaving anything behind and it totally eliminates the need for using a registry cleaner imho.

mevcit

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 02:49:53 AM »
Firstly, i didn't say "it finds more so it must be better", so that's not my logic. Also i don't use the deep scan feature. But i still don't find the registry scan (without deep scan) aggressive. And user has a chance to look at them before fixing them. If i'm caring about what i'm doing, then i'm fine, and i said i didn't had any troubles so far. Furthermore it solves some problems. Should this comment make you fit me into sth? anyway

If you don't use "Care" button, you can see what will be done to your system before the fixing process. For instance, for system optimization part: Just go to "Diagnose System" page, press "Scan". Then you may see something like "x problems found" in system optimization part. Click on it and you'll exactly see what will happen to your system.

I don't see any bugs or errors in the program, just works smoothly (version 3.3.4). Maybe in the previous versions you had some bugs, as i didn't use it for some time.

Btw, today i was getting "no disk" error and it fixed it fortunately. Actually the system optimization works well and fixes many problems (it also helped me a few times in the past).

Here i don't aim to discuss on which is better or sth else. You just criticized the program like it is so bad and does cause lots of dangerous cases. And then saying that it has restrictions in the free version, then "TuneUp probably being the best and safest one to use" (which has no free version) lol. You criticized the program without knowing some parts of it, I found your criticisms unfair, you compared it with other products, all these stuffs make you seem like you are just bashing the program. That's why i mentioned TuneUp a few times and made such a comment. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 02:50:49 AM »
Using Revo uninstaller is a good way to prevent any programs leaving anything behind and it totally eliminates the need for using a registry cleaner imho.
Revo is not a panaceia. It does not clean everything if after the uninstallation you need to boot. Sometimes, the own removing procedure could do a better job, just after boot, than Revo. If the uninstallation requires boot, follow Revo, take notes of the files and registry keys listed in Revo but do not delete then. Procedure with booting. Well, this is my experience specially with antivirus and firewalls, programs that are installed deeply in the computer.
The best things in life are free.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 02:57:43 AM »
mevcit: I already told you i am not going to fall for your flame baits.

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 03:03:01 AM »
Using Revo uninstaller is a good way to prevent any programs leaving anything behind and it totally eliminates the need for using a registry cleaner imho.
Revo is not a panaceia. It does not clean everything if after the uninstallation you need to boot. Sometimes, the own removing procedure could do a better job, just after boot, than Revo. If the uninstallation requires boot, follow Revo, take notes of the files and registry keys listed in Revo but do not delete then. Procedure with booting. Well, this is my experience specially with antivirus and firewalls, programs that are installed deeply in the computer.

Yeah for security software it's best to use their own uninstallers. The majority of vendors seem to offer standalone uninstall tools for their software(which we both know well don't we ;) ).

mevcit

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 03:06:15 AM »
::) Ok, i tried to explain some parts (description of system optimization actions, etc) of ASC that you don't know about and therefore criticized your criticisms. You may call this "flame baits" and even may call me evil. ::) alright, it will be the best to sleep now. lol good night guys..

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 03:29:01 AM »
::) Ok, i tried to explain some parts (description of system optimization actions, etc) of ASC that you don't know about and therefore criticized your criticisms. You may call this "flame baits" and even may call me evil. ::) alright, it will be the best to sleep now. lol good night guys..

Infact you explained nothing to me that i don't already know and you really haven't answered my critics of the program since you misunderstood all of my posts and are making wild assumptions about the meaning of my words and my knowledge of the program. Which is why i can't be bothered with you cause i don't have the energy nor the will to argue with you(or anybody else that is that thick-headed for that matter). Sorry you will have to find someone else to argue with. Good night.

mevcit

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 04:15:31 AM »
i can't believe im still awake although it is 5:15 am here. ;D

Let me attach a few pics:

Like the case in these pics, we can first see the changes (before fixing) for all the other modules as well. Hope this helps. For the other subjects, i won't say anything else. By the way im not arguing, just stating my opinions and discussing, but you're insulting. whatever, my thick head won't get those at least. lol and this was my last post on this subject.

c ya babe
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:23:21 AM by mevcit »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 04:36:01 AM »
mevcit stop replying to me. Just stop. I repeat myself: you have misunderstood ALL and i mean ALL of my posts and their meaning/point. Don't try to explain how ASC works to me as i know the program far better than you OK ? I've already told you i don't want to go there why do you keep pushing ? As for insulting don't play dumb with me you have been posting to me like i am some sort of an idiot with every post you make so stop it please. Before i really start insulting. I won't be so nice then anymore.

mevcit

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 04:40:22 AM »
 :-*

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »

Configuring WaitToKillApp or WaitToKillService can cause program, or worse, system instability because if the program does not close within the allotted time [5 seconds is to be set accdg. to your screenshot], program is forcefully closed therefore, data losses.

This will be insignificant if you have a very high end PC but still, some programs need more than 5 secs to close.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1