Author Topic: Saying No to “Spim”  (Read 3693 times)

YoKenny

Saying No to “Spim”
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »
Not much fun for Funmobile Ltd
Saying No to “Spim”

Posted by Tim Cranton
Associate General Counsel, Internet Safety Enforcement

Have you ever received an instant message that prompts you to click on a mysterious link?  Or been asked to share your IM account information, only to have it used to spam all of your friends? 
http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2009/07/16/saying-no-to-spim.aspx

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Saying No to “Spim”
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:46:49 PM »
Have you ever received an instant message that prompts you to click on a mysterious link?  Or been asked to share your IM account information
Nope. Never.
(What's an IM?  ;D)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »
This is how my sister got our computer infected...

"Hey, is this you on facebook..." (in a .rar file ??? )   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Be careful out there

-Scott-

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »
I keep getting The same message from various MSN contacts saying some or other about how they tried this great wait lost pill and how I should to... they attach a link I never have to courage to click on.... Would that count as SPIM as well... ???
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:41 PM »
I keep getting The same message from various MSN contacts saying some or other about how they tried this great wait lost pill and how I should to... they attach a link I never have to courage to click on.... Would that count as SPIM as well... ???

I'd say yes,

Do you remember there was a couple of threads about contacts signing on sending a similar message and then logging off again straight away?

Tell them to change their passwords as there is a good chance someone/thing has them

-Scott-

cinchez

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 01:47:26 AM »
Have you ever received an instant message that prompts you to click on a mysterious link?  Or been asked to share your IM account information
Nope. Never.
(What's an IM?  ;D)
IM, I think, is instant messaging^^

BTW thanks for the info YoKenny..."Spim" thingy^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 03:45:22 PM »
Nope. Never.
(What's an IM?  ;D)
IM, I think, is instant messaging^^

BTW thanks for the info YoKenny..."Spim" thingy^^

-AnimeLover^^

(What's an IM?  ;D)
I think the smiley face was meant to show that in reality Tarq57 did know what IM was.
I second +AdDicT+'s thanks to  YoKenny.
The article is a good source of info.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.