Author Topic: Infected component.old. Can I delete?  (Read 5719 times)

joey3155

Infected component.old. Can I delete?
« on: July 18, 2009, 04:59:59 PM »
I did a routine scan, uneventful and found that a trojan had snuck into C:\Windows\System32\Config\Regback\Components.old. I wanted to move the file to Avast's virus chest but despite making the chest capacity unlimited and increasing the send file size to double componets file size I can't put it in the chest so my question is can I delete it? Or will that mess up my system. So far it hasn't done anything but I want to get rid of it to keep my system safe. It was identified as Win32: Vidlo-AH.

Edit: I restarted my PC as Avast sucked up alot of memory during the night as I left it running to do it's thing. I came back and rescanned the supposedly infected file and it's not giving me a virus alert anymore. Whats up with that?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Infected component.old. Can I delete?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »
Which is the size of the file?
The extension (.old) seems to make this file ok to be deleted.

Edit: I came back and rescanned the supposedly infected file and it's not giving me a virus alert anymore. Whats up with that?
Could it be a false positive... strange...
The best things in life are free.

joey3155

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
23,004 KB to be precise.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 11:54:08 PM »
23,004 KB to be precise.
So, it's not a reason to not being moved to Chest.
Are you sure the message wasn't that the file was being used (access denied)? ???

joey3155

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:52:57 AM »
Yep, I'm sure. And the hard drive it's on has around 30 GB free, and the virus chest was set to unlimited capacity and the send file size to around 50,000 KB. I just tried scanning it now it still gives me no warning and I reboot the PC myself 2-3 times since this morning when this problem first appear (I did so for various reasons) and none of my other scanners (SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, Spyware Doctor) detected it. So what I plan to do is another through scan of the entire hard drive tonight and see if that file shows up again in the next scan.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:33:33 AM »
Seems you're clean.
A further check could be done with MBAM or DrWeb CureIT!.