Author Topic: I just had a very big scare  (Read 12021 times)

Spiritsongs

Re: I just had a very big scare
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 04:32:23 AM »
 :)  Hi Sharon :

My 1st Impression is that you either have an unwanted PopUp and/or a
 "Rogue" program trying to install itself or have you foolishly install it . Your
 1st Course of Action would be to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and 2nd
 run a "Complete Scan" of "SUPERAntiSpyware" .

sham1313

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »
i had then the malware a quick of the superantispyware then the regular virus scan and i am startting over with the malware a the a complete scan of the superantispyware when i get threw with that i will do another regular scan. i am not turning it off tonight i well do some tonight and very early in the morning. thanks Sharon

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 08:39:13 AM »
It's very hard to know what to make of this, without screenshots.

My impressions include the possibility that another user is installing Norton, or trying to factory restore the computer, or that it is indeed a rogue.
(Why do so many people seem to get rogue software installing? I never see it. Safe hex/good immunity, I guess.)

Sharon, is there any possibility at all that another user is attempting to restore or otherwise load Norton on to the computer?
The rogue idea sounds a little more likely; the description of the screen fits more with something malware-ish, than a genuine Norton install.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sham1313

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »
Sharon, is there any possibility at all that another user is attempting to restore or otherwise load Norton on to the computer?
The rogue idea sounds a little more likely; the description of the screen fits more with something malware-ish, than a genuine Norton install.

the only time any one that was suppose to really know computers is the tegs that had control of my desktop and most of them was from netzero. I am not sure how long ago that was.I wrote this after I wrote what you see below.

not a chance just only me and my husband and all he does is mostly surf e-bay and certain other sites that has to do with with some thing he collects like certain pocket watches. and puma knife's.  my sister and son was here for 2 days that was down from portland Oregon and they did not even use it they brought there own laptop and no one els has even been in our home in over a year.

I am the only one that done any thing to this computer. mike well do certain things like if he here avast sound off he will click for it to be move to the chest.  the more and more i think about that black nortin box i think how netzero when i had them as a ISP and HP trying to shove nortin to be put back on this computer.  I don't think HP  would do it but would not put it past netzero.  i bet i have had at least 6 of the nortin netzero disk that i have broke and put in the trash and how a few of them got real nasty in there tone when i did not even want them to send the nortin disk to me. that one or more of them be the Cos of it. all I mostly do others them surf the net is keep every think updated and download things that the computer needs and play a very few games there are times i goof big and download a rogue  and have to go thew the steps to clean up and make the computer back the way it should be.

last night i did advast again found the 4 files that was infected again and then the malware and the superanti spyware that found 17 bad one. i did the avast scan this morning and it said it was clean. now i am doing the malware an the superantispyware again. i am hoping they well come up clean too. i hope i am starting to do better to where every one can understand me.
i once again thank every one Sharon

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 11:30:52 AM »
Look, I'm really a little sorry to suggest this, (it has been suggested before) but you have several ongoing problems with this computer. It seems to come right, or get fixed, then within a few days something goes wrong again.

It almost seems at times as though there are several users playing with the computer, and one trying to fix the stuff ups.

Sometimes it seems that you can't leave well enough alone, and install more programs, only to find they don't work correctly or are rogue.

And sometimes it seems like some of the descriptions you make about what happened before the latest catastrophe are going to help us troubleshoot what caused it.
(Unfortunately, it doesn't help much.)

So, anyway, my suggestion is to save the photos and files you need/want to keep to CDs or DVDs, (just copy everything you want over) and format and re-install Windows.
There is too much going on, too frequently, for me to work it out.
And I suspect others here have the same problem.

That's my advice. I don't know how to proceed with what you are trying to do, in this thread, and the parallel one you have running here.

Sorry.

sham1313

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »
there are only 2 people that use  this computer. I am not sure what is going on. mike some times on his every other Saturday will get on the computer early and again in the evening. other then that it is just me. maybe I am as dum as this must appear. every thing I have mention has really happen. some one the other day said that one site I like witch is facebook and says some of my trouble can becoming from there. the last thing i download had to do with uploading pictures to this site so i could show people my neat looking pets kids pictures. sense this may be the infected file that is in the virus chest. i guess it is best to take away the pictures from these sites will really only facebook because I have not posted any here yet. http://fluffies.org/en/questions-about-this-parrot-chatboard_step-by-step-guide-to-posting-pics-on-the-fluffies-forums-vt627.html  this computer is in my site almost all the time. when it is out of my site mike is at work or some where.

i don't want to make this long because most would not understand it any way. there are a lot of things you can click on above the smiley face's. i believe I was on the right track in learning how to send that long avast log in and attachment to you but even after clicking additional option and trying to upload it.   it was two big it was 4KB and the biggist you can send is2KB. yes sense I came back to doing computer after not doing them for around 4 years I  have been dum enough to downloading rogue's witch maybe be as many as 5 on this computer not knowing they were and causing more trouble. even after i thought the i got all the rogue off of my computer the 1st one in my chest now may have to do with a old rogue program i thought was long gone.

one of the last things I want to say so I don't brother any one here any  more is about that black box that came up and tried and tried to force me into downloading nortin virus scanner. would make you thing someone was trying to redoing nortin so you would not loose it, but maybe if i would have know to use the removal tool sooner  so that it would of taken that part of nortin away with it

I do think there is some thing wrong with this fan. but it only goes dead when I am using
 the only reason i came back to trying do  do computer again was my husband old computer went out on him and he new nothing about setting a new one. my nephew was up here way some time back and my husband talk him in to letting his. my nephew was up here for 2 days again a few days ago. i should have had him look at the computer for me, but it was working great. he did not get on this computer. both him and my sister brought there own.

i know that no one wants to know any reason this or not. I did manage to get it up and ruining on the internet i should have just gave it to him  and talk him to take to the back porch where him and his parrot shadow spends time together. but i was starting to have fun putting our animal picture on line and play the two games i have one is called super bounce out.

my opera i cannot even open any more and if i was to stay with trying to do the computer i would have to start off trying to get all my bookmarks back there is still a lot there on places that every one has sent to help me out and all the other nessary things  i need to read.  I  wish mike would learn how to do the things on this computer that i half {axx} know how to do. he would know and do a lot better than I can. if he did any time he have trouble he would come to me. his old computer never did have much trouble and i was able to fix it and turn it back to him.

most of you may be not understanding what i have wrote i will just close with thanking all that help and all that tried to help me. what i don't understands is when i  read back most of my post they make sense to me when I reread it, but to most of you they do not.
            thanks again Sharon   Sham1313
old computers were so much easier then they do now.
p.s just a note I don't why mikes does not want to lean how to do this computer but he hands, me the remote control to the TV too. I thing it is if some thing goes wrong he done not have to blame his self. this is way of the topic what is wrote above.
                                  THE END

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 12:36:16 AM »
I've checked the link to fluffies, it's OK, the procedure for posting images is normal, I doubt anything there is infected.

Facebook itself is OK, some of the applications that can be accessed are not. I read of a lot of people who open links they have been sent via a message that cause infections.
It would not be surprising to get an infection this way. Basic rule: don't open attachments sent to your Facebook messenger. Even if you know the sender. A senders' name is easy to forge. Get in touch with the sender first, and ask if they sent it, before opening it.

There was a post a page or so back in this thread by DavidR on how to include attachments.

[edit] sorry, it was in your other thread.

Only idea I have at this point is to check your taskmanager (scheduled tasks) and see if there is anything scheduled in there that is attempting to run Norton. But I doubt it.

What you write makes sense, OK, but you already know the story. To someone who doesn't, it can be a bit of a hard read.

One problem with your posts is that you tend to not answer the questions the helpers are asking you. For example, I asked you if you'd copy and pasted the file name of something in the quarantine, or typed it. I still don't know the answer. So I can't help on that.

Regards, Tarq.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:31:03 AM by Tarq57 »

sham1313

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 01:55:14 AM »
I no matter how many i go back and re read i seem to always miss some thing.  later i will go threw the all the  post one more time. it seems I am always reading some thing for the 1st time or going back to re reading because i missed some thing or  did not understand it right. i don't know if it is just have one that has a learning disability's or some thing else. when i feel like i can do it with out making a lot of  mistake i will go back and open the chest and double click on each one in the chest and copy do by hand what comes up and type here for you to see it does not let me try to do a copy paste all i can do is try to write it all down and not make any mistake. (now thats a laugh isn't)
there are times i have re red and missed some one asking me some thing like on the one post where i was ask if any one one else use the computer.  and i did not even see that post till just a little while or maybe longer time ago.

you say i did not answer your question and i believes i did i said some thing like when i did the boot and it found a virus. i could type a certain number like one for repair and other i would click one and i did a few different ones this way i said i copy myself. on the with other part about i always  copy paste any thing if i can.
    maybe any time i was answering a question i should have had it do capital but when i 1st started here some mention that doing it like that would mean i was yelling. i said in most case's  i would agree but in some forums i did it that way so they know i was answering there question. some ask me to do it that way, but as i recall i was told not like that in this forum and i said ok no more capital letter. but i well reread and if i fine where i fine some thing like what i just wrote i could copy paste and show you where i answer your question if you would like.
well that enough of trying to explane i guess mainly when there is a lot going on in my head and i don't have to much time to do it i try going to fast and i make  more mistake then i normally do.
thanks for clarifying your self to me.
Sharon

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 03:31:31 AM »
Suggestion:
What you do, when answering a question, is post the question asked to your own post as a quote.
So you highlight the entire text to be quoted, right click the highlighted area, select "copy".
Then you select the "quote" button above (Just under the red "A"), place your cursor between the two quote boxes (it should be there anyway), right click, and select "paste".
Bingo, a quote. Easy. Once you know how.
Then you post the answer, and just the answer, under the quote, by typing it in. Example:
you say i did not answer your question and i believes i did i said some thing like when i did the boot and it found a virus.
No, I just wanted to know if you copy/pasted it, or typed it. And if the answer was "typing" was there a spelling mistake? (Especially in the word "...wizerd")? So to my question here (Which reads:
Did you copy and paste this file name or manually type it?
File C:\program Files\Windows\Live\phto Gallery\WLXPHOTO Acquirewizerd.exe
(Always copy and paste file names.)
you might answer:
I typed it. And the name of the file was actually "File C:\program Files\Windows\Live\phto Gallery\WLXPHOTO Acquirewizard.exe
And then I might say,
"no, that file appears OK, it's probably a false positive. Can you please upload it to www.virustotal.org for an online scan and post the url of the scan result, please."

See what I'm saying?

You end up with a better layout, it's easier for the helpers to follow what's happening.
To be effective at this you need to read the tutorial (this is the "posting" part of it) to make the most out of the forum software.

Hope this helps.

sham1313

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 02:43:03 AM »
i am taking a quick look here and say thank you . i will make sure i keep this is a special spot to review when i need it. also well have questions when i am catch up on mail with the one that has sent me personal mail well helpful hints on how to right a post the right wat thanks Sharom

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 02:50:00 AM »
Hint: Practice some (or all) of the posting techniques listed above. You can create a reply (or a thread) and play around with it, but instead of actually posting it, click the "preview" button (right beside the "post" button) to see what it will look like when posted.
Then, when you're happy at what you have learned just exit the page without posting anything.

A few practice runs, you'll learn a lot.

sham1313

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 05:15:20 AM »
bird  walk acrosss the key bord sorry
Sharon

sham1313

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 05:29:52 AM »
1st thing in the morning i will do a post in both places it will be the second because i was to get back to a friend  and did not. that one is 1st
thanks Sharon

Hint: Practice some (or all) of the posting techniques listed above. You can create a reply (or a thread) and play around with it, but instead of actually posting it, click the "preview" button (right beside the "post" button) to see what it will look like when posted.
Then, when you're happy at what you have learned just exit the page without posting anything.

A few practice runs, you'll learn a lot.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 05:41:36 AM »
No need to post them. Just play around and preview.

Another hint:
Quote the message you are replying to above your reply. You are doing it below your reply right now.

(BTW, you did fine with that quote box.) ;)

sham1313

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=46909.15
         this where you can try to follow if you want too.

thanks for the help
Sharon