Author Topic: Reporting a success story  (Read 3506 times)

cimmind

Reporting a success story
« on: July 18, 2009, 08:31:18 PM »
Most of the posts are regarding problems and user queries. Thought i will post something different.

On the office comp i am currently working at, the bundled Norton Internet Security Suite that came with the system had become ineffective as the subscription had expired. Being a govt setup, renewal would have been expected to take eons or not be available at all. As regular pendrive interaction is there, inevitably the system became infested with viruses/malware and things came to a crawl. (MBAM later on found 125 malware on it)!

Formatting would have been a tedious option. First AVG was installed, but it came a cropper. Used to go crazy, telling that every executable opening is infected, but doing nothing about it. Finally removed it too, using Revo Uninstaller. Downloaded Hijack This.. it found some entries  of CA antivirus too, someone else may have tried installing it earlier. Uninstalled all doubtful startup entries using CCleaner. (All downloading was on separate computer, as no direct net connection).  

Finally, downloaded latest version of Avast from net. Installed it, it took care of the viruses. And since then the system is running like a Ferrari! :-)

One glitch is that the system is not connected to the internet, so perforce the updating of the VPS will have to be infrequent. But some protection is better than none, and anything is better than having a Norton with expired subscription!    

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:33:09 PM by Cimmind »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Reporting a success story
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:09:45 PM »
That is the problem with a 'Support' forum people only come if they have a problem ;D

Those with no problems at all we never see or hear about ;D

With over 80 million users, yet only a little over 70,000 forum members.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »
That is the problem with a 'Support' forum people only come if they have a problem ;D

Those with no problems at all we never see or hear about ;D

With over 80 million users, yet only a little over 70,000 forum members.
I see alot of people with avast go to bleepingcomputer instead of coming here.If bleepingcomputer never existed,we might have well over 100,000 members. ;D
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:47:38 PM »
Still a drop in the ocean or 80 million plus ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

gery

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 10:39:26 PM »
guys can you imagine if they will all come up here and sign up and write each a single word and leave what will happen to you? it will be a natural disaster i guess to your servers hahahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
yes there are many that never had a single problem with avast. I don.t remember having a really serious problem with it.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
Hi gery,

And that is what the av solution is supposed to do, sit there quietly in the background and growl, bark and bite if something malicious has been found. Avast does all this, and more. The avast webforum has made the malware fighter I am today, and tomorrow I am even better,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:39:43 PM »
Glad to know an ex-Norton user, like me, is happy with avast?
When you need to update, download it here: http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/vpsupd.exe

And that is what the av solution is supposed to do, sit there quietly in the background and growl, bark and bite if something malicious has been found. Avast does all this, and more.
Fully agree.
The best things in life are free.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 11:48:54 PM »
+1 Fully agree

Hi Cimmind, I wondered when you would get around to sorting the office computer.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

gery

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 06:40:50 AM »
i meant people coming here all at the the same time this forum woud be over populated and a big mass to the servers. I agree about avast functionality