Author Topic: Home Registration Problem- Avast Site  (Read 9351 times)

MarliNY

Home Registration Problem- Avast Site
« on: July 19, 2009, 10:15:45 AM »
Hi,

I installed the Avast Home Version yesterday and have made repeated attempts to register but to no avail.  On the home registration page, when the page first loads I'm able to see the form field for registering however within a few seconds the page changes and the form fields to register disappear.  Can someone help?  Thanks!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Home Registration Problem- Avast Site
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
Hi MarliNY ,
What is your operating system, browser, and what AV was used prior to Avast?
Do you happen to use a script blocker?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

MarliNY

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »
Operating system is Windows XP.  Did not have any anti virus previous.  Script blocker?  Have no clue.  ???  

I've tried to access the page through IE and AOL but the page acts the same through either.  When it first loads, the form fields are there- within seconds they're gone and there's just a few black tabs for the different sections of your site.  

BTW- great results so far with the anti virus program!  Working well!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »
Does this  registration page look any different to the you are landing on?
Does it work at all?
AOL. Brrrr.
It could actually be a sign of something malicious blocking the page.

MarliNY

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 11:01:30 AM »
Tried your link through both IE and AOL.  Same results- form field appears for split second- then gone.  I have tried hovering my cursor over the area where the form field is (when the page first loads) and what I can see is that it's the tabs for navigating other areas of your site (only the black tabs appear, the rest isn't there). 

I ran a full scan of everything yesterday, after installing the Home Version.  Had 19 detections of Win32:Trojan-gen{other} turn up and selected to delete.  Scan reported that they were deleted.  Avast is on and scanning, no alerts. I've had no problems other than trying to access the registration page on your site. 

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 11:05:48 AM »
I'd try another scan with a different scanner. (Rational: no one anti-malware scanner always detects/gets them all, every time.)
Try downloading MBAM (select the blue download button) install it, update it, run a full scan, post the scan log, please.
Is your Windows kept updated? (SP3 and all subsequent patches?)

MarliNY

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
I have Malwarebytes installed on my PC.  I visited a site last week that was infected and had problems and infected my pc, a friend of mine suggested installing the Malware.  That program detected Qakbot.  I used the Malware several times (in safe mode) and the report was that it quarantined and deleted it.  I wasn't happy not having any anti virus protection (suppose to have McAfee free through my AOL account but couldn't access that/that's a problem with the McAfee site through AOL as I was told by a technical consultant).  So yesterday, not happy with having nothing to protect my pc, I found your free antivirus product and decided to try it (Home Version).  Registration page is my only problem. 

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 11:21:37 AM »
Just a thought, but have you tried the secure registration page?

https://secure.avast.com/web/eng/home-registration.php

-Scott-

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »
You beat me to it  ;D

I think that registration is not your only problem, sorry. I think that any computer that has had an infection like this that is still showing symptoms (in this case, incorrect website display) need a bit more investigation.

Hopefully you can register from the secure page. Then we'll have a look at some more diagnostics.

MarliNY

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
Just a thought, but have you tried the secure registration page?

https://secure.avast.com/web/eng/home-registration.php

-Scott-

SUCCESS!!!!!  Thank you Scott!  When the page loaded I was quick to place my cursor over the email field and starting typing- was able to fill all the fields, got the email for the validation key and have already inserted it!  Thank you!

MarliNY

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
Okay, so what is the suggestion?  Run the Malwarebytes (quick scan/full scan)?  I was told to do that in safe mode and have done that several times in the past week. 

OR- should I run a full scan with the Avast?   

When I ran the full scan with Avast after installing yesterday, the report picked up 19 reports of infection, one of them was the Qakbot.  I chose 'delete' for all and it said they were deleted. 

Best advice?

Thank you!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 11:39:37 AM »
In general terms it is always best to quarantine (send to chest) rather than deleting a threat.

What I'd do is download HijackThis and install it. Have it scan and save a logfile. The file will open when the scan is complete. Copy and paste the log to your next post, we'll check it over for possible threats/general update advice.
Do not have the program "fix" anything, yet. It's easy to go fixing stuff that will bork your PC.

MarliNY

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »
Perhaps you could help me-  the site that infected my pc last week was this>

The site knew they had a problem and thought it was fixed, unfortunately, it wasn't and that's how my pc got infected last week (had never had a problem prior!)

If someone here has super anti virus protection- could one of you check it out to see if it's still infected?   I'd love to know if it's clear to visit again- I rescue horses and need to access it if it's clean!  Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:59:35 AM by MarliNY »

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 11:44:16 AM »
CANTER Website Rebuild IN PROCESS

Update July 15, 2009: The CANTER website is in the process of being rebuilt. The horse listing pages are up but the photos have not been uploaded yet. Access all affiliate horse listing pages from here. New listings will be posted this week.

The affiliate pages are coming up on a daily basis.

Our email is experiencing issues so please send ALL emails to b_kokoruda@yahoo.com

MarliNY

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 11:49:04 AM »
Thank you Tarq!!!

Okay, just went to the Trend site for the HijackThis download.  Got this message after clicking to install-

"The application failed to start because MSVBVM60.DLL was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

Tried reinstalling- a no go.  Same message.