Author Topic: Translators for the 5.0 version  (Read 8487 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Translators for the 5.0 version
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 02:05:30 PM »
Well, I'm afraid it won't be the case for avast! 5 - there will be just a list of texts there, possibly with some comments, but no preview.
It's not something we are happy about, but given the way avast! 5 GUI is implemented, there isn't much we can do about it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
Well, I'm afraid it won't be the case for avast! 5 - there will be just a list of texts there, possibly with some comments, but no preview.
It's not something we are happy about, but given the way avast! 5 GUI is implemented, there isn't much we can do about it.
So, no Passolo anymore? :'(
It will difficult to test the "final" result and see how it looks like.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »
No, it will be in (new version of) Passolo - just that basically everything will be as a "string table", no "dialog templates".

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 05:24:06 PM »
No, it will be in (new version of) Passolo - just that basically everything will be as a "string table", no "dialog templates".
Well, not that worse. We can have the "old" text when any of them change and then we can keep trace back.
Seems that I won't be able to test the beta, translate, be at forums and live at the same time ;D
Most probably, I'll be out of forums during the translation work.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »
Igor, I was thinking...
Maybe it will be too difficult to translate correctly if we don't "see" the interface. Consider releasing "anything" (better if it is the beta) to be installed by the translators and allow navigate, browse, right clicking, etc.
Translation is not only language to language, but meaning and visual impact are involved.
You could see that avast translations have - in all languages - very few complains. Translator got the idea of how avast (and an antivirus in general) work and just let it flow in his own language.

comRace

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 06:01:58 PM »
Igor, I was thinking...
Maybe it will be too difficult to translate correctly if we don't "see" the interface. Consider releasing "anything" (better if it is the beta) to be installed by the translators and allow navigate, browse, right clicking, etc.
Translation is not only language to language, but meaning and visual impact are involved.

Totally agree with you on that.
The translator has to see how the words translated fit the interface and make the changes, if needed.