Author Topic: Helping with my Friend's Computer  (Read 2397 times)

BRANDONN2008

Helping with my Friend's Computer
« on: July 22, 2009, 05:03:33 AM »
Hello. Now my friend's roommate was playing games online, and an IE window popped up saying a file was infected with some two-hundred something trojans. Anyone with common sense would see that is a scam to load viruses on the computer by clicking on it. My friend's roommate clicked on it though and now it won't go away. His computer eventually wouldn't let him click on anything. He somehow got to click on stuff, and I told him to install avast! and run a boot-time scan, which he did. It found a trojan and he said he deleted it. However, afterwords, the window still popped up, and he did another scan which revealed 3 more infections. Could you please maybe identify this threat and give a way to remove it entirely?

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Helping with my Friend's Computer
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 06:59:35 AM »
Hello BRANDONN2008,

Install malwarebytes antimalware from here: malwarebytes.org run a complete scan and post log here.
You can also do a scan with superantispyware.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Helping with my Friend's Computer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »
This is a scam, scum/rogueware, fake security alerts, how would it know this unless a) it had installed an antivirus/spyware and b) run a scan. The answer is they can't know and it is just scare tactics to get you to part with money, visit a site, do a scan, etc. all of which are likely to get you properly infected. Not to mention if you part with money there is a likelihood you could be subject to capture of your credit card details and subsequent fraudulent use.

The only security alerts you should pay attention to are those of the security application installed by the user.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security