Author Topic: Buffer OverRun Detected... Runtime Error  (Read 5221 times)

VonAngel

Buffer OverRun Detected... Runtime Error
« on: May 25, 2004, 01:38:07 AM »
I have been using avast 4.1 for three months now..  Have never had a problem  with it..  It has  found 8 different worns and trojans  on my pc  that McAffee did not even notice.  HOW EVER  today  I turned on my pc  and this error  came up, and I cannot get the system  icon to run in task bar at all....  nor  will it do a scan...  does  anyone know what this means???  Will I have to delete  program and install again???  or WHY  did this happen...

I am using  VPS version  0421-3,  My operting sys  is  XP Professional, (version 2002  with service pac 1).  I have a AMD processor  with  1.40 GHz  and 608 Mb of ram

All I did was boot was the PC and this message  appeared....sorry,  it would NOT let me do a print screen...

MicroSoft Visual C++   Runtime Error
Buffer overrun detected

Programfiles\alwil\Avast4.1\ashcmd......(would not let me see the rest)

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programs internal state.  The program cannot safely continue execution and must be terminated...

I have not run a scan for several days,  I always  have it on..  I use  DSL, and my email client is Earthlink.net....

Don't want to check my mail with out it,  have tried to manually use it but it will do nothing....

Did a search here before  I posted this and came up with nothing  Can someone help me?????  

Worried,
AngelVon

and Thanks

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Buffer OverRun Detected... Runtime Error
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 01:44:02 AM »
I do not work for ALWIL and therefore do not know the internal workings of avast. So please be patient an avast programmer will be along shortly
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 09:24:28 AM »
Unfortunatelly, we would need to be able to simulate the problem - the error message itself doesn't say much.
But - are you sure there was ashcmd there? ashCmd is the command-line scanner of avast! Professional - i.e. not the usual resident protection modules. Did you create some special scripts utilizing this program? If not, it certainly shouldn't be started automatically...
Did you get this error only once, or are you getting it every time you start your computer?

When you start the Task Manager, do you see the avast! processes there? (ashDisp, ashServ, ashMaiSv)
Do you have the latest build (4.1.396) of avast?

MLReynolds

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 09:33:20 AM »
I have experienced similar situation while retrieving e-mail with Outlook Express.

Error:
Buffer overrun detected

Programfiles\alwil\Avast4.1\........(would not let me see the rest)

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programs internal state.  The program cannot safely continue execution and must be terminated...

Has happened twice in last two days.

OS Windows XP Home
Avast is up to date.
Have been using XP for 8 weeks, no problems

I have used Avast for nearly two years (on Win98), never a problem. Would like to know what if anything can be done. ISP has no idea. Customer Tech Support for my computer had nothing to offer either.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone VonAngel

MReynolds
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 09:35:36 AM by MLReynolds »

VonAngel

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 08:18:45 PM »
Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!!!  

This is happening everytime I start my computer...  and it IS  the message  I receive...

The only thing I see running in my processes  is...

ashDisp.exe
ashServ.exe
awwUpdSv.exe

still cannot scan....   also,  found out last night that it will not let me remove it...   I have tried everything...  when I do, I get an error message that pops up so fast  with the little yellow triangle that I cannot read it...

SO WHAT DO I DO???  I am without protection... already know that McAffee does not do the job

HELP!!!!

Worried and Wondering what is going on!!!!

VonAngel

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 11:55:57 PM »
About uninstalling, try in safe mode.In xp that isn't what it is called but there is some type of minimum start.
-max

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 01:02:16 AM »
Besides, could you please answer the other questions?  ;)

Do you use the latest build (4.1.396) of avast?
Do you have avast! 4 Home or Professional? If there is really ashcmd in the error box - did you create any special scripts using the ashCmd program?
What exactly do you mean by "error message popping up so quicky that you cannot read it"? You mean that the error message disappears itself immediatelly?
Can you start e.g. ashSimpl.exe from the avast! installation folder?