Author Topic: better freeware firewall alternatives  (Read 9001 times)

Northeast

Re: better freeware firewall alternatives
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 02:52:47 PM »
Hi Sammo,

How do u uninstall all those firewall software, I heard that those firewall software like Comodo, Zone alarm, PC tools, and (not sure about) Outpost are hard to uninstall because there firewall software is installed deep inside the registry.

Do u use a registry cleaner to uninstall them. If u do use one which is a good one that is safe to use and clean the registry.

thanks

majoMo

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »
With this kind of software that has too many entries in file/registry, I use ZSoft Uninstaller.

I install the app. with it and use their log file to do a complete uninstall. With it I didn't use anymore 'remove' tools...

;)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »
Better freeware firewall alternatives for windows 7 ??

Thank you

Sammo

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 04:37:35 PM »
Hi Sammo,

How do u uninstall all those firewall software, I heard that those firewall software like Comodo, Zone alarm, PC tools, and (not sure about) Outpost are hard to uninstall because there firewall software is installed deep inside the registry.

Do u use a registry cleaner to uninstall them. If u do use one which is a good one that is safe to use and clean the registry.

thanks
I use Cleanse Uninstaller Pro (paid) or Revo Uninstaller (free) both of which will completely remove the programs, leftovers and registry entries.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »
completely remove the programs, leftovers and registry entries.
Well... not a software is perfect or a panacea.
Remember that some keys (ControlSet for instance) are removed by Windows afterwards.
Advanced users will notice that, even after run RevoUninstaller, they could find *a lot* of entries related to removed software.
The most of them are innocuous thought.
The best things in life are free.

sded

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 05:57:35 PM »
One of the issues in removing registry keys under Vista is that some applications-Comodo for example, at least in the past-install the Legacy keys and Miniports under the system account, which means you as an admin cannot access them even with an uninstaller.  There are ways around this, http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t28707.0.html;msg211720#msg211720 for example, which temporarily ups your privileges so you can remove them.  But as tech says, generally harmless and cosmetic.