Author Topic: Avast 5 Beta on Windows 98  (Read 58235 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast 5 Beta on Windows 98
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »
Running an old OS is not "insulting" per se, of course.
But, as told multiple times, avast! 5 will not support Win9x/ME/NT4; the requirement will be Windows 2000 and higher. The decision has multiple reasons and it's not going to change.

As for how long avast! 4.x is going to be supported, it's not known exactly at the moment. My guess is at least a year since avast! 5 is released.

Hermite15

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »
Running an old OS is not "insulting" per se, of course.
But, as told multiple times, avast! 5 will not support Win9x/ME/NT4; the requirement will be Windows 2000 and higher. The decision has multiple reasons and it's not going to change.

As for how long avast! 4.x is going to be supported, it's not known exactly at the moment. My guess is at least a year since avast! 5 is released.

running an old OS is not insulting, but expressing aggressiveness because the community isn't following and fully supporting, is not acceptable, and is insulting for those working on improving software year after year.

If you run Win9x, you're on your own, period. No comment, no if and how, no support whatsoever has to be expected. This world is moving, and I for one wouldn't waste a second taking extremely obsolete software into account, I wouldn't waste my time even listening.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:51:01 AM by Logos »

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »
Aggressiveness, sorry, but this DavidR has been against me from day one, so before you start making allegations against me about banning etc please try to understand.

I forgot that someone had already said that they planned to keep Avast 4.8 running, but I just wanted to know how long for if that info was known, that's all I wanted to know, is that such a crime.

Sorry if I offended anyone. it certainly wasn't my intention, but I just think that DavidR could have answered this in a more softer approach, like I said previously, it doesn't take much to be courteous.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Hermite15

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:04 AM »
nightshade, WHY ARE YOU RUNNING WINDOWS 98  ??? I know that's your damned right...if you want to believe all the nonsense that's been said about Vista, be it, but for Christ's sake, switch at least to XP, spend a couple of hours learning it (hey, it's still Windows, so no big deal  ;) ) and forget Win9x. There are thousands and thousands of (good) reasons to switch to an NT based OS...it sounds so mad that I have to say it, after all these years.

can you at least understand that switching to a more recent OS and spend a bit of time learning it and getting used to it is worth the effort ? There are only benefits. Forget Microsoft earnings, think of yourself.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:13:54 AM by Logos »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 11:25:55 AM »
I can also confirm that avast version 5.0 requires Windows 2000 and higher. Sorry for that, but there are many (and I mean many) technical reasons why we had to make this decision. The latest OSes (such as Win7) are so much different from the original Win95/98/ME that supporting both would basically force us to create two different avasts.

Can you tell me how long then Avast 4.8 will be available for users of the 98 system?

I am not promising anything but my understanding is that avast 4.8 will be supported (i.e. daily definition updates will be released) at least till mid-2010. But again, this is an unofficial, unconfirmed information.

Win98 still has many users.

It really depends on your definition of many.
This is the chart from the computers that have updating avast definitions during the last 7 days (roughly 350 million update attempts) -- see below.

As you can see, Windows 95/98/ME together make up ~ 0.54% of our userbase. Of course, this is still some 400+ thousand people, but it's simply not possible to justify the costs associated with the development of a Win9x version because of a half percent of our community.

I'm sorry... but I'm afraid it's time to move on and upgrade.

Cheers
Vlk
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:29:46 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »
Sorry if I offended anyone. it certainly wasn't my intention, but I just think that DavidR could have answered this in a more softer approach, like I said previously, it doesn't take much to be courteous.
I read the thread, have no awareness of any "history" between you and DavidR, and found his response to be informative and not discourteous at all.

Curiosity piqued, I decided to have a look at some earlier threads. Didn't take long to find one. Not long at all. I even read three pages of it.

It seems to me all your questions were answered there. Why did you even post this thread? Wishful thinking?

To post this thread, then rudely berate a reasonable response is childish, churlish, and a little bit pathetic.  >:(

+1 for locking it.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
I read the thread, have no awareness of any "history" between you and DavidR, and found his response to be informative and not discourteous at all.

Curiosity piqued, I decided to have a look at some earlier threads. Didn't take long to find one. Not long at all. I even read three pages of it.

It seems to me all your questions were answered there. Why did you even post this thread? Wishful thinking?

To post this thread, then rudely berate a reasonable response is childish, churlish, and a little bit pathetic.  >:(

+1 for locking it.

Tarq57,

So because you have no awareness it didn't happen, don't think so somehow.

And why the need to post this? does it make you feel good, I hope it did for your sake.

By the way, thank you Vlk for your detailed response, looks like there are people with a polite attitude, and I thank you for that.

;D
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 12:20:41 PM »
And why the need to post this? does it make you feel good, I hope it did for your sake.
Not especially.
I just don't like unnecessary rudeness.
So deal with it in a PM. I've never found DavidR's responses or help rude.
On the other hand, you seem like a bit of a drama queen.
No offense.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
Not especially.
I just don't like unnecessary rudeness.
So deal with it in a PM. I've never found DavidR's responses or help rude.
On the other hand, you seem like a bit of a drama queen.
No offense.

Why thank you sir for your kind comments.

;D
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
nightshade, is there anything we can help you?
How much RAM do you have in your computer?
Did you Google for alternatives? Which ones did you find?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »
You are the rudest helper I have ever come across, you are even worse than rdsok over at AVG, and that's saying something.

I'd prefer you to ignore me than to type the way you do to me on here.

Utter disgrace.

Wonder how you will cope with all the questions you receive for 5.

Rude what a joke, if you don't like it, hit the report to moderator link, there is nothing rude in my responses.

It seems that you simply can't take the truth, support for win98 can't last forever.

I certainly shan't waste any more of my time on your posts.

I will cope as I have done for the last five and a bit years.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 04:20:57 PM »
I will cope as I have done for the last five and a bit years.

Good for you , good for you.

::)
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

hines232

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
Hi,

I'll respond to your PM with my detailed thoughts - hopefully within the next couple of weeks or so.

In the meantime - can you tell us about your machine's age including info about any replacement motherboard and/or hard drive(s) and also size of hard drive(s) details of RAM and Speed in MHz?

Can you tell us if you have an external drive and/or any flash stick(s) and any strategies you have for backups and/or clones and what other security software (including firewall etc.) that you use?

Finally, since we don't know your identity, is that you cannot afford to update to a newer machine (with a later version of Windows) or is that, for whatever reason, you just like Win98?

My regards
Read all the AVAST Forum's, (problems with all the newer OS'S) Thats mostly the reasons I still RUN ME  (MY opinion) ;D

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »
Hi,

I'll respond to your PM with my detailed thoughts - hopefully within the next couple of weeks or so.

In the meantime - can you tell us about your machine's age including info about any replacement motherboard and/or hard drive(s) and also size of hard drive(s) details of RAM and Speed in MHz?

Can you tell us if you have an external drive and/or any flash stick(s) and any strategies you have for backups and/or clones and what other security software (including firewall etc.) that you use?

Finally, since we don't know your identity, is that you cannot afford to update to a newer machine (with a later version of Windows) or is that, for whatever reason, you just like Win98?

My regards
Read all the AVAST Forum's, (problems with all the newer OS'S) Thats mostly the reasons I still RUN ME  (MY opinion) ;D

Hello hines232,

You kind of had the quotes in the wrong place, I have put them in the right place now, and thanks for your reply.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Shaz96

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 12:39:17 PM »
okay, so.... Windows 95/98/ME is unsupported as of July 2006...2006-2009, its been 4 years it unsupported.. as you can see.. Windows 9x/ME kernel type was "monolithic", while windows 2000, XP, Vista and the upcoming 7 was "hybrid" ... that should be the reason that avast 5 beta was unsupported..  :-\ you see, avast 5 is gonna be VERY DIFFERENT than avast 4 and earlier.. However, u can download some drivers for your Win 9x that can support 2000/XP/Vista/7 applications (if its exists).. just like me... i use Windows XP and i download some driverrs that can support Windows Vista applications... but that just only a BETA (testing versions)..maybe the final release can support windows 9x/ME...  :D