Author Topic: Avast 5 Beta on Windows 98  (Read 58397 times)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Avast 5 Beta on Windows 98
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
If you looked at my signature first you would know that I am running Windows 98 S.E, but then again you knew that, you were just trying to be smart and sarcastic.

As for rants, I don't know why you think this as we 98 S.E! users are only including ourselves in the debate, why is it that you and others think we are ranting, is this not what the forum is for i.e discussions.

Support for XP will be running out soon, and there is no way I could upgrade this system to Vista or Windows 7 due to the age of the hardware.

I think you were stooping low when you talk about not being able to afford a new PC, this can be a sensitive subject for some as many people can be hard up maybe lost their job and not working due to illness etc etc. Whether I can afford a new PC or not is my business, not yours or anyone else's for that matter.

Please try and be a bit more diplomatic for people that are not as up to date with their operating systems.

And by the way, we have had your story time and time again, if you had cared to look you would have saved yourself time.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 03:50:34 PM by nightshade »
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Hermite15

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 04:17:28 PM »
I do pity you nightshade, again, go for the pills  ;) ... hope you can eat tonight too  :'(

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2010, 04:48:05 PM »
I do pity you nightshade, again, go for the pills  ;) ... hope you can eat tonight too  :'(

Don't need any pity from the likes of you mate.  :P

You know what you can do with your windows 7, but I am too polite to say what.  ;D

Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Hermite15

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »

You know what you can do with your windows 7, but I am too polite to say what.  ;D

Well I still pity you... because you words tell me how vulnerable you are, hold on, there will be better days, little proletarian  :)

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »

Well I still pity you... because you words tell me how vulnerable you are, hold on, there will be better days, little proletarian  :)

You're getting personal now, be warned, or I might just come and eat you.  :D get my drift!

Now have some patience with yourself, I am sure will get a Dr's appointment soon.

Tool.

Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Hermite15

« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2010, 05:19:52 PM »
I knew you were doing something wrong with Win98, therefore your advice, yep, I got your drift now, as to your warnings, stick'em where you already introduced Win98... very deep inside  ;)

hint: Win98 would work better on a PC  ;D

Offline Shiw Liang

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
Well from what I've seen seem that you, nightshade. is a bit rude with DavidR he is a good avast forum helper and he was only trying to make you understand why it is not supported.
If you guys have more info about the win 98 do you think ubuntu can be used there?

yaslaw

« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
I can recommend you free ubuntu 9 which I use + Avast free.. I think that nowadays binding with windows 98  is rather a matter of choice than a necessity

win98user

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2010, 12:46:45 AM »
Hi,

I am a little confused as to why the use of 9x would be a topic of debate here.  However, it seems there is a need to clarify since it keeps coming up.

There are many good reasons to use any given OS, including 9x, depending on the circumstances.  In some cases it is the best tool for the job.  In others, it is not.  In my case, there are many good reasons for using it on some of my boxes, but one of the biggest is that it is the right tool for the job given particular hardware and software.  A lot of older hardware and software does not play well with newer OS's.  I own and play a lot of older computer games (what got me interested in software engineering in the first place), which almost always work better on the machines for which they were designed (and yes, that is considering emulators).  The assumption that newer is always better is flawed.  It is a matter of context, i.e., what tools is best given a particular situation.

In terms of software development, I think supporting users still using 9x is the correct approach given that it is most often quite technically feasible, giving me yet another reason to have my 9x machines available.

I use a number of OS's, but 98SE has always been one of my favorite versions of Windows (along with NT4), as I am quite aware of the design flaws in the newer versions; they merely trade one set of problems for another (many being intentional design choices that I consider deeply flawed).  Therefore, I don't subscribe to the concept that they are superior, and respect anyone who decides to stay with their current system rather than shelling out a bunch of money for a new one.

The list of reasons goes on and on, but frankly the current and most productive topic here is getting an antivirus to work on 9x.  Since they have made it clear that Avast is determined to drop support, and AVG already has, I would suggest that the next step be continuing the suggestions on alternatives.

Hi yaslaw, Vladimyr, etc,

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try out Rising Antivirus Free and ubuntu.

win98user

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:25 AM »
Norman Virus Control ( not free )

Any Pentium class PC running Windows 95/98/Me, Windows NT or 64 bits Windows.
For Windows 95 Internet Explorer version 4.0 or later is required.
For Windows NT Service Pack 4 or later is required.

US  http://www.norman.com/home/all_products/antivirus/norman_virus_control_single_user/en-us
UK  http://www.norman.com/home/all_products/antivirus/norman_virus_control_single_user/en-uk
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:58:02 AM by Pondus »

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2010, 01:28:02 AM »
My system uses FAT32 and is an AMD Athlon processor, would this be ok do you think for Norman Virus Control?

I know it mentions 98 S.E, but I noticed that it mentions 64bit, so should it be alright for my system even though mine is not 64bit windows.
Free avast.
Windows 7 32bit

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2010, 01:39:50 AM »
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:06:51 PM by Pondus »

joey3155

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2010, 01:47:21 AM »
I feel sorry for the dude. I really do. I have fond memories of 98SE. Like he said it was stable as hell and really nice.

However the team will not support a OS 12 years old. All I can suggest is buy a newer PC as upgrading the one you have will be harder and more expensive then just buying one.

As for continuing your use of 98.... I'm gonna assume you have the installation disc for it, why not create a virtual machine in Virtual PC? That way you'll be able to continue using 98 without the need to partition drives, dual boot, and you'll be able to run newer AV and ASs to.

Offline SugarD-x

• Proud Avast! User
    • Clan Xperience
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2010, 02:26:03 AM »
Norman Virus Control ( not free )

Any Pentium class PC running Windows 95/98/Me, Windows NT or 64 bits Windows.
For Windows 95 Internet Explorer version 4.0 or later is required.
For Windows NT Service Pack 4 or later is required.

US  http://www.norman.com/home/all_products/antivirus/norman_virus_control_single_user/en-us
UK  http://www.norman.com/home/all_products/antivirus/norman_virus_control_single_user/en-uk
Sorry to somewhat interrupt the discussion here, but on a side note, the current version of Avast! 5 is running just fine on my Windows 2000 Professional computer, and that was made for Windows 95 back in 1996.
(Cyrix P150+ CPU @ 150 MHz, 128MB of crappy, old RAM. Supported or not, it seems to work regardless. Yay for Avast's accidental compatibility?)
I haven't tested it yet, but I have gotten Avast 4 running just fine in Win95A/B/C and Win981st/2nd/gold, so I'd imagine that minus some lag and issues getting it up at first, Avast 5 will probably continue to work despite it not being supported.
~SugarD-x~

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2010, 02:45:23 AM »
I enjoyed win3.1, win3.11 for work groups, win95, win98, win98se (which I hung on for a long time after XP was released even after XP SP1 was released), but in each case I saw it as an advancement.

I didn't leap immediately but after a time of consolidation I moved on, usually I upgraded my MB, CPU and RAM if needed rather than buy a new system, which keeps the cost down (there are also good deals on second user systems). I have had XP Pro for the longest of all of them and for those with concerns MS extended support for XP ends in April 2014 I believe.

I avoided Vista completely as I wasn't impressed by the hype or the early reports/reviews, it didn't have anything that I didn't already have or crucially need, all my programs worked fine and some old ones wouldn't work with Vista. Right now in the UK there are some second user systems with XP pre installed for under £100, advertised in MicroMart.

As For win7 I'm in no rush yet, probably wait for Service Pack 1 before making any decision, but now MS have started to make noises about win7s replacement, so perhaps I will wait some more ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security