Author Topic: What is your favorite image editor?  (Read 10280 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What is your favorite image editor?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 03:38:11 PM »
I have one application (Drive Image, essential to me) that needs it otherwise .net wouldn't be on my system at all. For anyone on dial-up .net framework is an absolute monster, not to mention the .net update process is prone to failure as has happened to me and many others on numerous occasions.

So rather than increase my dependence on .net with yet another application that requires it I will eventually replace Drive Image and get rid of .net framework. When I get an application I don't like to see that it needs multiple other pieces of software that aren't a part of the OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Conogo

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 04:03:16 PM »
GIMP user here.  :)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »
I'll never understand ppl who constantly complain over .NET framework. It's not like you have to install it each time. You install it once and its there forever. And it works great and loads of programs are using it.
And Paint.NET is probably one of the best image editors. Easy to use and very powerful.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 04:18:23 PM »
It is there forever, until the next update, which isn't cumulative but another monster download with the opportunity for the update to fail yet again.

You are also introducing yet another MS element that is the target for exploit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »
anyway and whatever, thanks for the heads up about paint.net guys, never heard of it before, trying it out now  ;)...if my PC survives, I promise to post back later today  :D

edit: on a side note, I got rid of MS silently installed extension .net framework in Firefox. Otherwise I don't mind it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:29:52 PM by Logos »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »
It is there forever, until the next update, which isn't cumulative but another monster download with the opportunity for the update to fail yet again.

You are also introducing yet another MS element that is the target for exploit.

You're on 56k. Thats in major minority these days so thats hardly an excuse. Then what else? It's just as much "target exploit" as Adobe Flash, Java VM, GTK or any other runtime. So complaining over exploitability is a rather bad example if you ask me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »
Minority or not there really are more people on dial-up in the UK and elsewhere than you think.

I don't use Adobe Acrobat to avoid one element and use firefox with noscript to avoid flash exploits to a certain degree, neither of which have downloads as monstrous as .net. The exploitation element on its own is only one, when you add the other points I have raised it is cumulative.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 08:51:12 PM »
Even if it's cumulative, it's not like they release them each month. Besides, there are magazine CD's that always bundle such stuff. Have been subscribed to one when i was still on 56k...

Jahn

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 09:27:46 PM »
PhotoScape has some nice (basic) features.