Author Topic: MS XP crashes during AVAST virus scan  (Read 3153 times)

vivalaslo

MS XP crashes during AVAST virus scan
« on: July 23, 2009, 10:36:14 AM »
Greetings,

Hoping this is a common problem to be resolved, thanks in advance.

Installed is AVAST Home 4.8 and VDB VPS090722-0; the computer is ACER travelmate 5520.

Windows firewall is desactivated, previously installed was AVG (now eliminated).

Everytime that I run the AVAST virus scan the machine shuts down, sometimes within little time, somethimes a bit later. Sometimes it has then entered a cycling of strating up and crashing until I

Is this something related to ACER, like the AVG problem with ACER?

Thanks in advance for your help

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: MS XP crashes during AVAST virus scan
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »
Hi vivalaslo,
It can be a common sort of problem, but it depends what is causing it. Can be malware-related, or related to a previous AV installation, or even a corrupt install of Avast.

How was AVG uninstalled? What version number was it?
What AV was installed before AVG?

Does the computer have any other security programs installed?

If Windows Firewall is deactivated, what firewall are you using? (Avast is not a firewall. If the answer is "no firewall", re-activate your Windows firewall now.)

It would not be surprising if this is malware related. Please download, install, update and then scan with MBAM. Post the scan report in your answer.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »
Also, let's say clearly: if during an avast! scan,
1. avast! freezes or crashes, it's probably avast! problem.
2. The computer freezes or restarts, it could be e.g. a conflict with some other program, or a hardware problem.
3. The computer powers down - it's probably a hardware problem (e.g. overheating). The scan generates a lot of hard disk activity (and is also CPU intensive), which may increase the temperature of your hardware. I suggest to check the coolers in the case.
4. If you get a blue screen, it could have a bug in avast! drivers (but then, there is not a power down).
The best things in life are free.

vivalaslo

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 06:51:17 PM »
Hi Tarq57 and Tech,

Thanks for speedy replies. Windows firewall is now re activated.

AVG 8.0 was uninstalled using the uninstall function via control panel, and also manually finding various files. Prior to AVG I do not recall, maybe Norton that came with Vista (which I changed to XP).

at this time Ad Aware SE Professional is the only virus security software now installed.

Now searching for AVG finds some text documents related to reports the still installed Ad Aware SE Professional, and a couple of Java script documents - probably not to do with the software AVG. It appears that no AVG code remains, nor other virus security software.

I have suspected temperature issues, so the comment of Tech is interesting. ¿How would I "check the coolers in the case"?

Now I am going to check the MBAM suggestion of Tarq57.

Thanks again

vivalaslo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 07:48:54 PM »
AVG8 Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.

You can get small utilities to monitor your temperatures, etc. HWMonitor (also shows fan speed) from http://www.cpuid.com/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security